[Reader-list] Out now - Sarai Reader 06: Turbulence

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Sun Sep 10 20:37:25 IST 2006

Dear All,

We are happy to announce the print and web publication of Sarai
Reader 06 : 'Turbulence'. Please find more details about the book
below. This year, the Sarai Reader 06 is one of the participating
publications of the Documenta 12 Magazines Project.

We would welcome responses, reviews and critiques of the publication,
and discussions based on its contents. If you would like to write a
review of the book, and wish to obtain a review copy, do write to
publications at sarai.net, mentioning details of the publication where
the review will appear, and when it is likely to be published. The
contents of the book may also be translated into other languages, and
published elsewhere. We, and the authors, would like to be informed.

Looking forward to your responses

The Editorial Collective, Sarai Reader Series
-------------------------------------

Sarai READER 06: TURBULENCE
  <http://www.sarai.net/journal/reader_06.html>

Editors for Reader 06: Monica Narula, Shuddhabrata Sengupta, Jeebesh
Bagchi, Ravi Sundaram, Awadhendra Sharan + Geert Lovink

Sarai Reader Series Editorial Collective: Monica Narula, Shuddhabrata
Sengupta, Ravi Sundaram, Ravi S. Vasudevan, Awadhendra Sharan, Jeebesh
Bagchi + Geert Lovink

Sarai Reader 06: Turbulence is part of ’the Documenta 12 Magazines
Projectí
<http://www.documenta12.de/english/magazines.html>

Published by the Sarai Programme, Centre for the Study of Developing
Societies, Delhi, 2006 [cc]
Produced and Designed at the Sarai Media Lab, Delhi

ISBN 81-901429-7-6
608 pages, 14.5cm X 21cm
Paperback: Rs. 350, US $ 20, € 20

---
'TURBULENCE' (from the introduction)

If there was ever to be a 'weather report' for our times, an audit of
the climate in which we have grown accustomed to live, it would use
the word 'turbulence' often. Turbulence is a practice for and of a
time that has no name. This book, embodying that practice, is an
eclectic index of an uncertain age.The Sarai Reader 6 uses
'Turbulence' as a conceptual vantage point to interrogate all that is
in the throes of terminal crisis, and to invoke all that is as yet
unborn. It seeks to examine 'turbulence' as a global phenomenon,
unbounded by the arbitrary lines that denote national and state
boundaries in a  'political' map of the world.  Sarai Reader 6
surveys areas of low and high pressure in politics, economy and
culture that transcend borders, investigates the flow of information
and processes between downstream and upstream sites in societies and
cultures globally, witnesses surges and waves in ideas and practices
in contemporary art, culture and discourse as they crash against the
shorelines of many dispersed locations.

How do we anticipate, recover from and remember moments of sudden
transformation? How do we look at the debris of the past and brace
ourselves for the whirlwind coming our way from the future? How do we
deal with the simultaneous pressures of knowing too much or the
anxiety of knowing too little about the world? How do we cope
intellectually with the sudden dissolution of established ways of
knowing and doing things?  What does it mean to know and experience
the pull of undercurrents - in society, politics, the economy? How do
cities deal with the accumulation of complex infrastructural
uncertainty? What happens when urban chaos strikes back at urban
planning?How can we map the subterranean tectonic shifts and
displacements that occur in culture and intellectual life? What are
the histories of anxiety, exhilaration, dread, panic, ecstasy,
disorientation and boredom like. How can we begin to narrate these
histories? What does it take from us to tell stories, read poetry,
make images and record experiences in the wake of turbulence?

---=

See below for the complete table of contents. The complete text of
'Tubulence', like the entire contents of previous readers, is
available for free browsing and download as pdf files at <http://
www.sarai.net/journal/reader_06.html>

CONTENTS

In Turbulence - Editorial Collective - vii

TRANSFORMATIONS: REFLECTIONS ON UNCERTAINTY - 1
The Time of Turbulence - R. Krishna - 2
The Father of Long/Fat Tails: Interview with Benoît Mandelbrot - Hans
Ulrich Obrist - 6
Place - Renée Green - 19
Notes from New York, July 2005 - Molly Nesbit - 28
Cement and Speed - Michael Taussig - 33
Mapping the Invisible: Notes on the Reason of Conspiracy Theories -
Cédric Vincent - 41
Turbulent Spaces of Fragments and Flows - Felix Stalder - 49
The Terror of Having a Body - Baijayanta Mukhopadhyay - 55

WEATHER REPORT: FORCES OF NATURE - 63
Disaster Signs - Pradeep Saha - 64
An Aesthetic of Turbulence: The Works of Ned Kahn - David Mather - 70
After the Deluge - Gyan Prakash - 77
Waterline - Legier Biederman - 84
Waves of Wrath - R.V. Ramani - 97
Zalzala (Earthquake)! - Kavita Pai - 99

TROUBLESHOOTING: TECHNOLOGIES OF COMMUNICATION IN TURBULENT TIMES - 105
A Candle in My Window - Peter Griffin - 106
Support Iraqi Bloggers: Interview with Cecile Landman - Geert Lovink
- 117
Locative Dissent - Jeremy Hight - 128
Once upon a Flash - Nishant Shah - 131

ALTERED STATES: EXPERIENCING CHANGE - 139
Pixels of Memory on the Hypertextualised ’Ií - Deb Kamal Ganguly - 140
Playing Wild! - Andreas Broeckmann - 150
Download Downtime - Trebor Scholz - 160
A Science of Liberalisation and the Markets It Produces - Siva
Arumugam - 173
The Visibility of the Revolutionary Project and New Technologies -
Raoul Victor - 191
Light from the Box - Franco La Cecla, Stefano Savona + Piero Zanini -
204
The Neurobiopolitics of Global Consciousness - Warren Neidich - 222
In Search of the Centre - Vlado Stjepic - 237
Like Cleopatra - Parismita Singh - 243

STRANGE DAYS: THE HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY OF TURBULENCE - 253
ìJahan se Dekhiye Yak Shor-e Shor-angez Nikle Hain (A Riot of
Turbulence, Wherever You Look)î:
The Dehlvi Ghadar - Mahmood Farooqui - 254
The Silent Memorial: Life of the Mutiny in Orchhaís Lakshmi Temple -
Rahaab Allana - 271
Buccaneers, Pirates and Privateers - Vijayalakshmi Balakrishnan - 282
A City Feeding on Itself: Testimonies and Histories of 'Direct
Actioní Day' - Debjani Sengupta - 288
'Kothai Aj Shei Shiraj Sikder'(Where Today Is that Shiraj Sikder)?:
Terrorists or Guerrillas in the Mist - Naeem Mohaiemen - 296
Remembering Communism: The Experience of Political Defeat - Philip
Bounds - 312
The Dynamic Balkans: A Working Model for the EU?
Interview with Kyong Park and Marjetica Potrc - Natasa Petresin - 320
GuateMex: No-Man’s-Water - Marcos Lutyens - 329
Paisajes - Sergio De La Torre - 333
Ceuta and Melilla Fences: A Defensive System? - Guido Cimadomo +
Pilar Martínez Ponce - 336
Shifting Sediments - Dane Mitchell - 342

SIGNAL DISTURBANCE: QUESTIONS - MEDIA / ART / IDENTITY - 353
What Hit the News-Stand?! Introduction to a Dialogue - Nasrin
Tabatabai, Babak Afrassiabi +
Kianoosh Vahabi - 354
The Sand of the Coliseum, the Glare of Television, and the Hope of
Emancipation
- Nancy Adajania - 364
Be Offended, Be Very Offended - Linda Carroli - 376
The Khushboo Case File: Reverse Culture Jamming - Tushar Dhara - 388
Seeking Chaos: The Birth and Intentions of Queer Politics - Gautam
Bhan - 401

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: WITNESSING TURBULENCE - 407
Family/Families - Ashim Purkayastha - 408
Liberal Nightmares: A Manual of Northeastern Dreams - Tarun Bhartiya
- 413
Poetry in a Time of Terror - Robin S. Ngangom - 422
Turbulent Indigo and the Act of Cautious Reassemblage - Sampurna
Chattarji - 431
The Man Who Could Walk through In-Between Positions - Sureyyya Evren
- 440
This Morning, This Evening: Beirut, 15 July 2006 - Walid Raad - 450
Who Didnít Start the Fire...? Reflections on Bombs over a Cup of
Coffee - Simran Chadha - 454
A Kashmiriís ëEncounterí with Delhi - Bismillah Gilani - 459
On Listening to Violence: Reflections of a Researcher of the
Partition of India - Sadan Jha - 467

UNSTABLE STRUCTURES: IMPROVISATIONS WITH INFRASTRUCTURE - 473
Contingent - Emeka Okereke - 474
Turbulence before Take-Off: Life Trajectories Spotted en Route to a
Brazilian Runway
- David Harris - 480
Casting Village within City - Yushi Uehara - 485
Tapping In: Leaky Sovereignties and Engineered (Dis)Order in an Urban
Water System
- Karen Coelho - 497
A ’Legitimate’ Business Activity: Unofficial Stock Exchanges of
Vijayawada - S. Ananth - 510

NOTES FROM BESEIGED NEIGHBOURHOODS - 523
Nanglaís Delhi - Cybermohalla Practitioners - 524

ALT/OPTION - 571
Collaboration: The Dark Side of the Multitude - Florian Schneider - 572
We Lost the War. Welcome to the World of Tomorrow - Frank Rieger - 577

--------------------------------

For Purchase, Distribution and Other Enquiries, mail to -
publications at sarai.net

or, contact -
Publications
Sarai, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054, India
Tel : (+91) 11 2396 0040
http://www.sarai.net
E mail : dak at sarai.net

International Sales : Autonomedia, New York (USA)
Order online from: www.autonomedia.org

Monica Narula
Raqs Media Collective
Sarai-CSDS