[Reader-list] [Announcements] [announcements] Two events in September

PUKAR pukar at pukar.org.in
Tue Sep 19 10:56:18 IST 2006

PUKAR cordially invites you to two events in September:

I         A discussion in Marathi on

'Across Barriers: Caste in Religions'

Speakers:      Abhijit Deshpande

                             Prakash Almeida

The speakers will present their experiences about how caste is still a dominant force

within religions - whether in Hinduism or in Christianity. There will be a discussion

on how the caste system continues to foster social injustice.

Date: Friday, 22nd September 2006

Time: 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Venue: 1st floor, Shramik, Behind Yogi Hall,

Near Dadar Station (East), Mumbai 14

II        Screening of 'Q2P' (Documentary, 55 minutes, DV, English, Hindi)

            followed by a discussion

Director: Paromita Vohra

Q2P peers through the dream of a futuristic Bombay and finds...
 public toilets... not enough of them....

Q2P is a film about toilets and the city. It sifts through the dream of
Mumbai as a future Shanghai and searches for public toilets, watching
who has to queue to pee. As the film observes who has access to toilets
and who doesn't, we begin to also see the imagination of gender that
underlies the city's shape, the constantly shifting boundaries between
public and private space; we learn of small acts of survival that people
in the city's bottom half cobble together and quixotic ideas of social
change that thrive with mixed results; we hear the silence that
surrounds toilets and sense how similar it is to the silence that
surrounds inequality. The toilet becomes a riddle with many answers and
some of those answers are questions - about gender, about class, about
caste and most of all about space, urban development and the twisted
myth of the global metropolis.

This film is produced by the PUKAR Gender & Space Project,

funded by the Indo-Dutch Programme on Alternatives in Development

(IDPAD)

Date: Friday, 29th September 2006

Time: 6:30 PM onwards

Venue: Max Mueller Bhawan Auditorium, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai 1

PUKAR (Partners for Urban Knowledge Action and Research)

Address:: 1-4, 2nd Floor, Kamanwala Chambers, Sir P. M. Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 001
Telephone:: +91 (22) 6574 8152
Fax:: +91 (22) 6664 0561
Email:: pukar at pukar.org.in
Website:: www.pukar.org.in