[Reader-list] [Announcements] [announcements] September 29 : Screening of 'Q2P'

PUKAR pukar at pukar.org.in
Mon Sep 25 11:17:56 IST 2006

Screening of 'Q2P' (Documentary, 55 minutes, DV, English, Hindi)
followed by a discussion

Director: Paromita Vohra

Q2P peers through the dream of a futuristic Bombay and finds...
 public toilets... not enough of them....

"Vohra juxtaposes the dream of Shanghai II with ground realities that our
cities are built on rock solid inequalities. While glass offices continue to
proliferate and a Delhi municipal officer dreams of building 'toilets that
don't look like toilets,'' girl children and female teachers in Mumbai's BMC
schools battle urinary infections - a by-product of zero toilet facilities.
The film progresses like a personal essay, with grassroot characters, where
the writer learns as much from the project as the viewer."

-Indian Express

Q2P is a film about toilets and the city. As the film observes who has access

to toilets and who doesn't, we begin to also see the imagination of gender

that underlies the city's shape, the constantly shifting boundaries between
public and private space; we learn of small acts of survival that people in the

city's bottom half cobble together and quixotic ideas of social change that

thrive with mixed results; we hear the silence that surrounds toilets and sense

how similar it is to the silence that surrounds inequality. The toilet becomes a

riddle with many answers and some of those answers are questions - about

gender, about class, about caste and most of all about space, urban development

and the twisted myth of the global metropolis.

This film is produced by the PUKAR Gender & Space Project,

funded by the Indo-Dutch Programme on Alternatives in Development

(IDPAD)

Camera: Ajay Noronha

Editing: Jabeen Merchant

Sound: Anita Kushwaha and Samina Mishra
Animation: Shilpa Ranade
Music: Tarun Shahani and Nirav Gandhi

Date: Friday, 29th September 2006

Time: 6:30 PM onwards

Venue: Max Mueller Bhawan Auditorium, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai 1

PUKAR (Partners for Urban Knowledge Action and Research)

Address:: 1-4, 2nd Floor, Kamanwala Chambers, Sir P. M. Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 001
Telephone:: +91 (22) 6574 8152
Fax:: +91 (22) 6664 0561
Email:: pukar at pukar.org.in
Website:: www.pukar.org.in