[Reader-list] Fwd: Re: Protest (on April 1st) SC's stay on OBC reservationand brainstorm about how to furtherr Social Justice!

burton cleetus burtoncleetus at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 11:56:00 IST 2007

Dear Vedprakash

One of the most serious objections
raised by the SC with regard to
OBC reservation, is the method of
determining the status of caste
based on 1931 census.

 Yes the last census that gave any
indication to the position of caste
and their human development indices in
india was the 1931 census. From 1881 to
1931 caste was the basic criteria in
the tabulation and analysis
of the social position of
 the different sections of the sub-continent.

The outbreak of the second world
in 1939, limited the scope of tabulation of the 1941
census with no serious analysis or interpretation.

After independence, the new political and bureaucratic
authorities of the "new" nation decided to do away
with the idea of caste on any categorisation in census

records. This was because Caste seemed for them a
derogatory term in the new context.

Post independence enumeration details
thereby complicated the whole census tables and
thereby failed to arrive at
any meaning ful analysis on the social
condition of different caste groups in India.

There is no analysis in census records
from 1931 onwards does not mean that
caste as a social category, with its accompanying
social maladies have dissapeared
and an 'egalitarian system was established'
after 1931.

For the lower castes the idea of the
new state to avoid the "category of caste"
in census records thereby closed any serious
analysis on their social position. In a sense, for
them,
the new methodology was like
being thrown from frying pan to fire!

Burton