[Reader-list] Response to Ratish re: Nizamuddin Basti

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 21:42:04 IST 2007

As someone who has, as a reporter, covered demolitions in Delhi for
the last two years, i can completely understand the suspicion with
which the residents of Nizamuddin ( and people like Sudheshna and
others on the list) treat "conservation" restoration and
beautification drives.  i also did some work on post-tsunami
rehabilitation - and found that relocation of coastal villages -
ostensibly for safety purposes - was nothing more than a ploy to
remove them and hand the land over to developers under the marina
beachfront beautification project. Else where a 50 year old settlement
in bhatti mines and indira nagar was demolished to protect the delhi
ridge while the vasant kunj malls were finally sanctioned inspite of
protests.

While it comes as a relief to hear that no demolition is planned, i
would urge the Aga khan people to commit in writing that no demolition
would be carried out, and as sudheshna suggests, carry out an outreach
programme that clearly lays out the extent of the plan.

Regards
A.