[Reader-list] Cinematic City:Kolkata, Modernity, MiddleClass&the Urban Woman--1950s &60s Popular Bangla cinema.

paramita ghosh paramita_gh at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 19:30:14 IST 2007

i think u cd consider meghe dhaka tara (1960, ritwik ghatak) as a case study of women, as seen through the character of Nita, being treated as 'mother figures' and the implicit expectation of sacrifice and hence exploitation, by the family.
  it might not be a 'popular'  film but highly identifiable as an example of  what u plan to do.

smita mitra <smitamitr at gmail.com> wrote:
  Dear All,   Sorry for missing my deadline for the second posting for IFS--2007 ON Cinematic City :Kolkata,Modernity,Middle class and the Urban Woman-A study of 1950s and 60s Popular Cinema.   To remind all the list of Films that I propose to look at include: Saptapadi (1961-Ajay Kar),Harano Sur(1957-Ajay Kar),Saat Pake Bandha(1963-Ajay Kar),Sagarika(1956-Agragami), Uttar Phalguni(1966),Bipasha(1962-Agradoot),Pothey Holo Deri(1957-Agradoot),Chaowa Paowoa(1959-Yatrik)Trizama(1956-Agradoot),Teen Bhuvoner Paare(1969-Ashutosh Banerjee) Abhoyar Biye(1957-S.Dasgupto),Bicharok(1959-Prabhat Mukherjee).   Can anyone suggest some more Popular Films from the same period that I can add to or see while working out my ideas on the cinematic negotiations of the 'self' that are being located within a particular kind of urban experience?Briefly I am interested in unpacking The nature of the individual self that is dislocated or decentered from the familial space