[Reader-list] 2nd Post: Insider-Outsider

Renee Lulam renee75 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 12:14:40 IST 2007

Iewduh is the largest traditional market in Shillong. Talking to Bah
R.Thankhiew, who runs a drug store that he inherited from his grandmother
and mother, reveals a layered dynamic in the perception of who the
'outsider' exactly is. Often, references made indicated that the ultimate
'other', the 'Dkhar' was anyone who was not essentially from any of
the communities of the North Eastern States. Then come the 'outsiders' from
within the communities of the North Eastern states. These distinction
seem to be made on who the percieved 'exploiter' is. Further discussions
divulge complex perceptions based on socio-cultural propinquity,
geographical proximity, a sense of shared history, and linguistic
similarities as well.
There is a deep seated resentment that seems to arise from the necessary
dependance on the 'outsider' for markets and businesses to run. The
resentment most often is against the self, but often targetted at the other,
who personifies that necessity.
These are what we've gleaned so far from preliminary
discussions. Considering how complex the narratives are turning out to be,
we just might contradict ourselves as interactions continue. Such such are
the joys of such a research :)

Renee and Jules