[Reader-list] Contribute to the House of Pictures

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:18:54 IST 2007

Dear friends
This is in continuation of our Call for Proposals (for short
fellowships on popular visual culture in India) that we announced
recently.

While the deadline for receiving proposals on the Tasveer Ghar
fellowship is approaching fast (30th April 2007), we also invite you
to contribute to our Virtual Gallery or the House of Pictures where we
plan to feature short visual essays or image galleries focusing on
specific representations of popular visual culture in India.

A virtual gallery is basically a compilation of images (say between 8
and 15, or even more if required) depicting a unique aspect of popular
visual culture, accompanied by a text introduction and detailed
captions that weave all the images into one coherent presentation
spread over several interactive pages of the website. The individual
images could either be scans of authentic artwork or photographs of
scenarios (streets or homes) where such public art is displayed. A
contributor can either send us hard copies of images or electronic
versions (scanned in the prescribed format). Tasveer Ghar will not buy
or own the image contributed by you. If you submit hard copies of any
art work, we would return the same to you after digitizing. The
contributor does not have to design the gallery – that would be done
by our website designer. But the contributor would have to provide the
text and captions for the images (or any other details that maybe
necessary for the gallery).

To see an example of such a gallery, please visit a new presentation
compiled by Christiane Brosius featuring New Year Greeting Cards
produced by Hindu Nationalist institutions.
http://www.tasveerghar.net/hgreet/

We encourage the topic of the virtual galleries to be related to our
larger theme of the fellowship this year – "Gender, Nation and the
Everyday Spaces" in popular culture. You may initially send us a short
proposal about a gallery along with a few sample images. We would then
contact you for further details. You must mention the copyright status
of the images in your initial proposal.

Any body is eligible to submit content for a virtual gallery as long
as it is unique, creative, and fits into our theme. If there are any
copyright issues or permissions-to-be-taken for the use of such images
on tasveerghar website, the contributor would be responsible for
procuring the same. You may also see the disclaimer to the copyright
issue on our website http://www.tasveerghar.net/copyright.html

Tasveer Ghar is a non-profit initiative depending upon limited
resources and funding. We hope to build our digital archive by
contributions from all of you. If available, we would provide a
nominal honorarium for your contributions to our website.

Meanwhile, we are awaiting the full proposals on the 6-Months Tasveer
Ghar Fellowships. You may see the detailed Call for Proposals at
http://www.tasveerghar.net/call.html

Important: We are also looking for an Art Curatorial Assistant
(Delhi-based) to work with us on a part-time basis to help us collect,
store, restore, handle and scan the hard copy art works such as
posters, prints, photographs, paintings, and other objects of popular
art that we are collecting. The candidate should have training and/or
experience in handling works of art (including rare and decaying
prints), and should be computer literate. Knowledge of the trends in
popular art and culture would be an added advantage. Kindly send us
your CV or call Yousuf at 9810379016.

Looking forward to your ideas, images and proposals

Christiane Brosius
Sumathi Ramaswami
Shuddhabrata Sengupta
Yousuf Saeed