[Reader-list] [Urbanstudy] Article from the Washington Post: an experiment in context, perception, priorities

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Fri Apr 20 13:56:42 IST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 16:20 +0100, Priyasha Kaul wrote:
> and what do you think of the reactions of the people, especially if
> the musican was a woman? the jumble of gender, power, expression and
> space in the interstices of a city like delhi, indeed a worthy
> experiment !
[...]

First of all, I am not even sure whether this would even be possible.
The Delhi Metro seems to aggressively control the space, and even the
soundscape within the environs of the Metro. For example, at the Dwarka
station where I disembark, they have managed to force the line of
rickshaw-pullers some distance away from the exit, even though this is
on a public road.

  Even should one manage to convince the powers-that-be in the Delhi
Metro, this would be a different kind of an experiment, as there is no
history of beggars, or street musicians within the Metro premises. So,
the event would probably garner attention because of its novelty, and
because people would assume that it was organised by the Metro
authorities themselves.

Regards,
Gora