[Reader-list] IFS - '07 - 2nd posting - April - Displacement of prostitutes

SUROJIT SEN surojit369 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Apr 24 10:55:50 IST 2007

Dear Reader,
  This is my second posting of my project Displacement of Prostitutes - A tale of two cities in two centuries.

  Towards  a     Towards  Text
  I had                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Surojit  Sen
  Surojit  Sen

  I  had  spent  my  childhood  days  in  the  northern  part  of   Calcutta  before  our  family  shifted  to  Chandannagar  in  Hoogly.  In  north   Calcutta, the  house  we  lived  in  was  a  few  minutes’  walk  from  Sonagachi ,  the proverbial  red  light  area  in  Calcutta.  Later,  our joint family broke  up  and  we  moved  to  another  house  which  was  also  not  very  far  from  Sonagachi,  as  I  grew  up  in  this  area , I  developed ,  as  a  child ,   a  curiosity   about  Sonagachi  which  is  known  as  the  oldest  and  biggest  brothel  in  Bengal ,  if  not  in  India.  Gradually,  this  curiosity  turned  into  an  eerie  feeling  and  finally  into  a  sort  of  sexual  wonder.

  Sonagachi  has  been  a  large  part  of  Chitpur  road  (  now  Rabindra  Sarani  ) -  the  oldest  throughfare  in  the  city  over  the  last  100  or  150  years.  Sonagachi  was  familiar  to  me  because  we  had  to  go  to  Natunbazar  (  to  by  fish  )  and  frequently  pass  through  such  areas  as  Garanhata,  Masjidbari  street,  Darjipara,  Durgacharan  Mitra  street,  and  others  -  all  located  in  close  vicinity  to  this  brothel,  we  could  not  avoid  Sonagachi  even  when  we  would  go  to  see  the  charak   festival  at  Chhatubabur  bazaar  every  year.  As  I  got  familiar  to  Sonagachi  in  my  early  years,  I  once  thought  of  writing  a  novel  on  the  prostitutes  inhabiting  this  area.   I wished  to dub those women  as  ‘ Birds in  the  neighbouring  area’.   With  time,  this  childish  idea  wore  off,  but  the  curiosity   continued  to  stay  on.  How  was  Sonagachi ,  say,  about  hundred  years  ago!  Haridaser
 Guptokatha   (  secret  tales  of  Haridas  ),  a  very  sensational  book  written  by  Bhubonchandra  Mukhopadhyay  in  1903  describes  Sonagachi  as  this  :

  “  Six  months  have  passed  since  I  settled  in  Calcutta.  By  now  I  have  got  acquainted  with  the  roads  and  streets  [  in  the  city  ].  One  day,  on  a  full  moon  autumn  evening ,  I  was  strolling  along  Chitpur  Road.  I  had  not  stepped  in  this  area  in  the  afternoon  before.  I  found  the  same  look  but  one  thing  struck  me  as  strange.  I  saw  a  type  of  women  in  the  balconies  of  houses   on  either  side  of  the  road.  Dressed  in  various  colours,  they  put  on  metal  ornaments  of  different  types  and  dressed their  hair  in  various  styles.  Some  of  them  were  sitting  down  on  stools  or  their  chairs,  some  standing  in  the  balcony  puffing  at  their  silver- made  hookahs  and  some  leaning  out  of  veranda,  resembling  the  posture  a  juggler,  with  their  eyes  descending  on  the  road  below.  Some  of  these  women,  I  found,  had  colorful  bodices  on  and  some  had  painted  their
 faces  and  some  were  standing  with  disheveled  hair- locks  hanging  down  loosely.  Who  are  these  women?  I  had  heard  from  gossip  that  there  are  many  harlots  in  Calcutta.  Those  who  choose  to  speak  sadhu [  chaste; Sanskritised]  Bangla  say  that  harlots  or  prostitutes  are  charming  public  women  ( barangana )  bent  on  capturing  the  spoilt  young   men  by  providing  them  with  carnal  pleasure  -  a  sort  of  entertainment  in  low  taste,  once  trapped  by  these  women,  the  young  boys  -  who  have  gone  ashtray  and  seek  entertainment  in  sensual  pleasure  only  -  are  done  for.  I  could  recall  those  words  standing  on  Chitpur  Road.  So,  these  are  public  women,  I  understood,  the  women  who  lure  young  men  on  to  destruction.  I  got  started  and  shuddered. These  women  have  shaken  off  all  the  shyness  and  sense  of  dignity,   characteristic  of  a  women,  and  are  showing  themselves  up
 right  on  the  road.  In  form  and  shape,  they  look  like  women;  but  by  nature  they  are  demonic  creatures,  Calcutta  is  really  filled  with  filth  to  the  brim,  with  perfumed  clothes  and  hair  cut  in  a  particular  fashion,  dandies  are  walking  down  the  road  with  their  eyes  raised  to  balconies  above.  And  the  eyes  from  each  balcony  are  casting  lewd  looks  at  them  [  to  attract  their  attention ].  Keeping  this  sight  in  mind,  one  city  bard  interestingly  known  as  pakshi- kabi   [ie,  bird  poet]  once  said  at  a  gathering :  ‘  Those  eyes  are  traps  set  for  catching  birds;  they  are  flutes  to  men folk.’   I  thought  that  the  poet  was  absolutely  right.
  Such  traps  abound  in  Chitpur  Road.  There  is  hardly  any  gentle  household  in  this  area.  Had  there  been  a  few,  it  would  have  made  a  little  difference.  The  pattern  of  prostitutes’  settlement  in  Calcutta  is  simply  contemptible. There  is  a  prostitute’s  quarter   beside  a  middle – class  household,  by  the  side  a  school,  close  to  a  school,  close  to  a  doctor’s  chamber.  In  some  cases  they  live  in  the  upper  part  of  a  gentleman’s  house,  and  on  top  of  all,  they  even  surround  the  Brahmo  Samaj  temple.  If  this  be  the  situation ,  what  would  be  the  fate  of  this  city!  Doesn’t  any  body  care?  (  pp  85 – 86).

  Harishchandra  Mukherjee  of  Hindoo  Patriot  fame   discussed  this  problem  in  this  paper  (  15 june,  1854 )  and  mentioned  that  there  were  around  13,000  prostitutes  in  Calcutta  at  that  time.  And  Kaliprasanna  Singha  in  his  celebrated  Hutom  Penchar  Naksha   (  a  pithy  satire  on  the  19th  Calcutta)  observed  that   ‘ the  city  of  Calcutta  has  become  the  city  of  whores.  There  is  hardly  any  area  in  the  city  where  you  would  not  find  at  least  ten  prostitute’s  quarters.  Their  number  is  rising  every  year,  showing  no  sign  of  decline.’  Nababibi  bilas  (1822)  by  Bhabanicharan  Bandopadhyay,  Apunar  much  apuni  dekho  (1863)  by  Bholanath  Mukhopadhyay,  Sachitra  guljar  Nagar ( 1871)  by  Kedernath  Datta  and  some  other  satirical  pieces  written  in  the  19th  Century  sketch  the  same  scenario.  Going  by  these  sources,  we  learn  that  the  main  red  light  area  in  Calcutta  in  those
 days  spread  along  a  large  stretch  of  Chitpur  Road – from  Siddheswaritala  ( a temple)  at  Bagbazar  to  Nakhoda  Masjid  (the  biggest  mosque  in  Calcutta)  at  Kalutola.  In  the  course  of  reading  these  books,  I  came  across  one  prose – piece  Bodmaish  jobdo   (  Wicked  Punished )  written  by  Prankrishna  Dutta   in  1869.  We  learn  from  this  text  that  in  1868,  the  British  Government  promulgated  the  Indian  Contagious  diseases  Act  14,  popularly   known  as  choddo  ayin  ie  Act  14  to  arrest  the  spread  of  syphilis  among  the  soldiers.  The  Government  found  this  act  urgent  because  after  the  great  Mutiny  of  1857,  the  number  of  soldiers  in  Fort  William  was  increased  and  the  government  knew  it  full  well  that  it  would  be  impossible  to  prevent  the  soldiers  from  visiting  brothels  and  contracting  venereal  diseases  as  a  consequence.  According  to  one  account,  in  1860,  one  third
  of  the  British  soldiers  had  contracted  syphilis.  The  1868 Act,  therefore,  aimed  to  free  the  prostitutes  from  that  contagious  disease  and  thus  to  make  sure  that  spread  of  syphilis  among  the  soldiers  does  not  assume  endemic  proportions.
  The  act  sparked  off  a  stir  in  Calcutta  and  led  to  the  publication  of  scores  of  plays,  skits  and  satirical  sketches  on  the  Act  14.  Battala  in  north  Calcutta ,  the  oldest  publishing   centre  in  the  city,  brought  out  these  books.  The  bhadralok   ( elite )  class  tended  to  look  down  upon  the  Battala   publications  as  vulgar  literature  in  bad  taste.  By  the  elite  standards,  the  language  and  style  of  the  Battala  Literature  was  vulgar  but  the  social   reality  reflected   in  those  books  provide  significant  glimpses  of  social  life  in  19th  Century  Calcutta.  Prankrishna  Datta ‘s  text  was  the  first  to  the  1868  Act.  It  was  followed  by  thrice  satirical   sketches  on  the  same  subject  published  in  the  same  year  (1869 ).  In  a  caustic  style,  prankrishna  datta   depicts  the  reactions  that  the  said  Act  brought  in  wake.