[Reader-list] [Urbanstudy] Article from the Washington Post: an experiment in context, perception, priorities

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 21:17:58 IST 2007

this is turning out to be an interesting discussion...

i am from bombay and there are a lot of musicians on the local trains...
most of them are really bad, completely off tune and really annoying. you
want to pay them to stop singing or playing their instrument. specially the
little kids with shreeky voices, they are hilarious. but often a real nice
musician or a genuine talent would come along... i know a friend who has a
small music label, who is sending two talented kids for classical music
lessons to train their voices a bit and then wants to put out a record with
them. the *bhajan mandalis* on bombay trains are quite controversial, but
some of them are really good... delicate aalaps and long taans, mesmerising
stuff... in full rush hour.

these days i am in montreal and the metro here has a real nice system. they
have allocated spots in the stations for musicians. these spots are
competetive, one has to audition for it. it is reasonably lucrative to get a
spot on the metro station as begging is otherwise illegal. so these spots
are taken up by people with some amount of talent and they can be very good.
i saw a white guy playing a sitar, a bunch of brazilians playing drums, a
karaoke guy singing soulful love songs, acoustic guitarists etc. etc. people
do not stop to listen always but do drop some change as they hurry past,
carrying the tune on their lips or whistling out as they leave.

metro stations in montreal are also often the venue for art installations,
performances etc. after the trains stop at 1.30am, there have been hip hop
acts and open house parties.... all this is well regulated of course...

so here is a role model for arts in the metro.

-vishal
www.bombay-arts.com