[Reader-list] Second Posting, Mithun Narayan Bose, I-Fellow

bangali_ mnb bangali_mnb at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 21:44:55 IST 2007

                                In a recent visit I saw these two rickshaws having rest by the Park Circus Railway station. I have got interested while noticing the astonishing differences between these two rickshaws, which can freely share their spaces inside a single frame. The rickshaw which is seen on the left side of the picture and facing front has chosen a CD as an integral part of decoration on the rickshaw-puller’s life feeder, his ‘The Street Car Named Desire’, the use of CD as a part of decoration is commonly visible nowadays. It had gained a huge question mark from my side and I interviewed almost twenty rickshaw-pullers and only then Rabi Pradhan had thrown some light on the question. Is it only for the illuminating nature of CDs? Or any other possibilities to explore the thought process of these people are lying hidden beneath the question.
  Rabi said, its not only because of the illuminating character of the CDs, neither for the possible use of CDs as light-reflector but also the possibility to connect himself with the modern age is playing a significant role in the rationality and thought process in and among my subjects. He said, CD is very much a modern thing and thus the wish to incorporate modernity is being reflected through this practice. In fact, my thought and this statement had had no vital differences between them. And my successful inference gave me ample confidence and pleasure.
  The uses of many mirrors on the handle, playing of F.M Radios with huge sound boxes are other signs of affection between the man and his bread-earner. Swarup Mondol, has written truthfully on the rear side of his rickshaw;

                                      “Gari Shudhu gari to noy/ Bhalobasar ful/
                                     Olpo kore bojhai koro/ Cholbe bohudur”
  [Means, the rickshaw is not only a mere rickshaw, but also the flower of love. If you load her a bit lighter, she will go far.]
  The uses of mirrors, plastic flowers, ribbons to decorate the rickshaw prove this love.

  Another rickshaw being seen here, on the right hand side of the picture posses a sacred picture of the goddess Tara of Tarapeeth mainly for the security reason. Using the pictures of Gods and goddesses of various religions and beliefs, the use of the number 786 among the Muslim rickshaw-pullers is common to notice.

  This frame of picture got this two different but simultaneous flows of life : Quest for Modernity and tradition and got intermingled quite easily and thus I would like to call it as a distinct part of living Urban Folk-Lore.