[Reader-list] [vikalp] Our response to police action against Jashn-e - Azadi

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 22:51:40 IST 2007

Dear Shuddha
While internet does provide an alternative platform
for showing/watching what the moral police does not
allow us to show/watch, is it yet an alternative to a
real screening? The screening of documentary films
itself is a limited and elite practice, the
downloading of hi-def video (of large films) would be
an even more elusive thing for most people (in our
midst). Will it serve the purpose of the film. Will it
silence the Kashmiri pundits who are against the film?

The censor/govt. is not against an individual watching
a film, they are against the social practice of
watching a film. And if they want to, very soon
they'll control the Youtubes and the Vuzes too. I
don't know why, but I get a feeling that we are all
skirting the real issue here. We are continuously
defending our right to show/watch a film, and even
seeking technological solutions to beat the censors.
But no one is interested in a dialogue with the
section of people who have a problem with the film.
Why do we insist on watching the film only "amongst
ourselves", safe and secure from those who don't like
us. Isn't it like being high-tech ostriches.

Yousuf