[Reader-list] Bombay Taxi Project - Meter Down Podcast

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:55:39 IST 2007

dear kabi,
your project sounds very interesting. i have been working on/ with taxi
drivers for a long time and i find some of the ideas you have very similar
to mine.

i have extensively documented the sticker art on mumbai taxis for several
years, this project is part of my documentation of city signage called
Typocty. Please see www.typocity.com and under the Documentation + Analysis
section scroll down to 'Taxis: number plates + sticker art'. You can find
more on the radiumwallas and their craft under the Projects + Workshops
section - click on Taxi Art.

i have also conducted a number of workshops with radiumwallas for art
students and also collaborated with them on design projects. i know a number
of radium wallas and taxi drivers on a personal basis. they know about my
interest in them are are quite friendly now.

i find your idea of recording conversations with them very interesting. a
oral history project that i initiated years ago is called 'Bombay Sonic',
one episode of this project can be listened to at:
www.bombay-arts.com/netart/bombaysonic.html (my website is
www.bombay-arts.com )

i have also been interviewing taxi drivers for a long time, mainly to work
out narratives for a potetial story series called 'Taxi Tales'. i do not
have recordings, only notes, as my conversatons are far too many and casual
and spontaneous. i have also collected Taxi Tales from other friends who
have had interesting conversations with taxi drivers.

i am glad that someone is actually recording these conversations. good luck
with your project.

best,
vishal