[Reader-list] Bombay Taxi Project - Meter Down Podcast

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 21:30:22 IST 2007

dear amy,
my conversatins with taxi drivers are immigrant to immigrant. most of us in
the city are immigrants. i am asked questions by them too: am i married?
what rent do i pay? why am i not on my bike today? where is madam these
days? why dont you join this pyramid scheme? - thery are equally curious
about me, they give me advice on life.

i come from a documentary background, using audio recordings, photos and
video to document various aspects of the city. however once you congeal all
the metaphors from the research, it can be best, at times, to write a
narrative based on that. a screen writer friend of mine has done exactly
that. a beautiful story called 'ek tera saath' or '1-13-7' in numericals
that reads the same in hindi. this is a story of a taxi driver and his
devotion for lord krishna, who appears to him in person one day...

anyhow a video documentary could still be a wonderful exercise. i love
kabi's audio recordings though. sometimes audio recordings can be more
evocative. if you have any further ideas that you might want to share,
please do. but what is that makes taxi drivers in bombay more fascinating to
you and kabi than taxi drivers in the US and UK? why the inter-continental
ambition?

-vishal