[Reader-list] Attack on Taslima

prakash ray pkray11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:28:31 IST 2007

*I, on behalf of Cinemela Collectives, strongly condemn the physical attack
on Taslima Nasreen, a Bangladeshi writer. This attack is entirely against
the democratic and secular character of the Indian polity and we cannot
tolerate it in any manner. *

*One may have differences over the writings or any other kind of artistic
articulations of Taslima Nasreen or anybody else, but this definitely is not
the appropriate manner to express dissent. This very act militates against
the freedom of expression. *
*We demand that the Andhra Pradesh government take firm action against the
culprits responsible for this attack and the writer must be provided with
adequate security. We also urge the govts to stop those people who are
openly threatening artists and cultural activists. *
**
*We call upon the democratic-minded people to stand in firm solidarity
against the fundamentalists of all kinds.*
**
*Prakash K Ray*
*Convenor, Cinemela Collectives *