[Reader-list] Can we apologize to partition victims

ysaeed ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 17:07:18 IST 2007

Apology Petition

http://www.indiapakistanpeace.org/petition_2007.html

Dear Victims of the Partition-related Violence in
South Asia:

The mass murder, rape, pillage and suffering that
accompanied the partition of British India in 1947,
have left deep scars on the psyche of the people of
India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, the former East
Pakistan.

Tens of thousands were murdered, raped, and maimed,
and millions were displaced in an immense human
tragedy, that continues to poison our discourse, and
feed mutual suspicions and hatreds.

Therefore, we, the members of the Association for
Communal Harmony in Asia (ACHA), and others, who have
signed below, believe that the time has come for all
of us jointly to condemn, without distinction, the
insane orgy of violence and intimidation that
accompanied the great human divide of 1947.

On the 60th anniversary of the Independence of India
and Pakistan, we recall that dark chapter in our
history so as to ensure that these tragedies will not
be forgotten, or repeated.

We hope that coming generations will learn from this
man-made calamity, and turn away from divisions based
on religion, ethnicity, language, national origin,
caste, or creed.

Taking lessons from history, we undertake to shun the
political use of religion and communalism.

We regret that our forebears, the colonial British
administration, and the successor governments did not
prevent the tragedy. They also failed to punish the
perpetrators, and apologize to you and your families.

In the spirit of harmony and goodwill among the people
of South Asia, and to help build a new South Asian
present and future, we grieve for and with you. We
offer our deepest sympathies and most solemn regrets
to you and your families.

We are sorry!

Kindly sign this petition if you think you should
apologize

http://www.indiapakistanpeace.org/petition_2007.html