[Reader-list] news topics on newsrack

Subramanya Sastry sastry at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 24 00:21:32 IST 2007

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you folks know about the news topics that have been
set up over time on newsrack.  Check http://newsrack.in

IFIs (WB, ADB, JBIC), SEZs, SEZs by state, Hydropower, Mining (by
sector), Environmental Clearance, Public Hearings, EIAs, CRZ, CZM,
Energy (Wind, Nuclear, Oil & Gas, Hydel, Solar, ...), Dams by site
(Teesta, Tehri, Athirapally, Tipaimukh, Bhakra, ....), Adivasi Issues,
Sexual Abuse, Organic Agriculture, Intellectual Property, Genetic
Engineering, FM radio, Right to Information, Employment Guarantee
Scheme, Dam Siltation, Dam breaches & collapse, JNNURM, Water
privatisation, Interlinking, Water harvesting, Farmer suicides, Informal
Sector, Urban Planning, Bhopal, Narmada Dams, Encounter Killings,
Godhra, Singur, Nandigram, .... and many many more ... There are over
175 topics currently setup where many topics actually have many
sub-topics underneath ... so, there are over 1000 news categories
currently.  On average, a new topic is added to the site every week.

For most topics, the following news publications are being tracked:
Hindu, Deccan Herald, Times of India, Indian Express, Statesman,
Telegraph, Hindustan Times, New Indian Express, Assam Tribune, DNA,
Mint, NDTV, Times Now, DD News, Kangla Online, Dainik Jagran, Dainik
Bhaskar, Navbharat Times, Kannada Prabha, Navhind Times, Business
Standard, Hindu Business Line, Frontline, ... and many more ...

Feel free to navigate the site, bookmark, subscribe to RSS feeds.

The current process to set up a news topic is a bit geeky, but, if you
need assistance in setting up a topic that relies on your own personal
perspective approach to an issue, feel free to get in touch with me.
Note that for some topics, news is archived in these topics going back
to September 2005.

Also feel free to get in touch with me if you want any news publication
added to the current set of news sources, or if there is any news topic
that you would like tracked, let me know.  The tool offers tremendous
flexibility in terms of (a) what topic you want to track (b) what news
publications you want to track (c) how you want to organize the news ...

There is nothing in this tool that restricts it to India-focused topics
and feeds.  In fact, there are already various US-focused topics that
have been making their appearance already (Immigration, Housing, Green
Technology, ...).

If you want to know when you might find this useful vis-a-vis Google
News or Topix, don't hesistate to ask me.  There are situations where
you might be better off with Google News or Topix, but there are also
situations where you might find NewsRack more suited to your needs.

Best regards,
Subbu.