[Reader-list] Guests in Vedavati's house

S.Fatima sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in
Sat Aug 25 20:08:43 IST 2007

Dear Kshmendra
By suggesting that all references to religion in these
laws must be removed (and everyone be covered under a
single law) you are basically talking about
UNIFORMITY, which is precisely I can't digest. Laws
and religion and culture are not disjointed - they are
all connected. If we want a diversity of culture, one
would have to grant the right to live one's life
differently from others. Or else, force everyone to
become atheist and forget about religion.

Today we are talking about the SAME LAWS for everyone,
tomorrow someone would suggest the same culture for
everyone. I believe in France the right-wing
politicians are trying to codify what they call the
"official French culture". Will we do the same, after
we have formulated a single law for everyone.

Let us respect everyone's way of living and marrying
and inheriting, as long as it doesn't hurt you. Tell
me which clause in the Muslim Personal Law hurts a
Hindu, and vise a versa?

S.Fatima