[Reader-list] Freedom of Expression my foot!

S.Fatima sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in
Mon Aug 27 16:47:15 IST 2007

Dear Kuber
Do you think one would be so ignorant so as to not
even have a cursory look at the history and mythology
of nationalism. The nationhood is there even in the
colonies of amoeba. Of course one is aware of these
historical references, although most of these
treatises are written for/by the ruling class, so we
never get to know what the ordinary people of the
world/India felt about their nation, or whether it was
necessary in those days to whip up the emotions or
create euphorias about one's nation, or was is
necessary to be patriotic those days to be an Indian.

I was only responding to the present day version of
nationalism/patriotism which is based on a lot of gas.

The present day nationalism (and its version of
history) is not so old - it was certainly sowed in the
British period. And its flowering only now. I don't
want a nationalism which shows a foot to the freedom
of expression.

Using your own phrases such as "annexation" and the
"ambitions of a ruler" which no right thinking person
would like to endorse in today's politically correct
world, one can assume that a lot of assertion of
nationalism can lead to problems and conflicts. For
instance, the enforcement of a unified culture on
every citizen of a nation (in the name of
nationalism). Why is that Hindi is not acceptable to
Tamils as a national language? Because a centralized
nationlism is forcing it down their throat, and they
don't want it. I was simply referring to the
artificial/superficialities of nationalism which have
creeped into us now - and we need to rise above them.

(Alas, by being apologetic about my name you are
merely invoking a stereotype. How do I know whether a
Nomad/wanderlustt/Kuber is a Parsi or a Swahili or an
Inca).

      DELETE button is history. Unlimited mail storage is just a click away. Go to https://edit.india.yahoo.com/config/eval_register