[Reader-list] Tintin in Bengal, or Musee Guimet Controversy

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 03:57:24 IST 2007

Naeem,

As you know, I was confused, too. Thanks for clearing it up.

It is absolutely astounding that the government in Dhaka is sending
those priceless treasures to a museum with such a record, but we are
used to scandalous behavior from governments in our part of the world.
France is different, or should be. One gets the sense that the emerging
supranational entity called "Europe" is eager to project itself to the
rest of the world as being civilised and humane. If we "Third World
nicks" are to believe this, France should rein in Guimet instead of
helping it along in a criminally inept or plain criminal enterprise as
you have described.

If the French want to see those artifacts - and I think that would be a
good thing for Bangladesh - their government should take direct
responsibility for the exhibits. It should catalog them properly, since
the Dhaka museum people have clearly failed to do that, insure them
adequately, and ensure their safe return after the display.

Tapas