[Reader-list] Arundhati Roy on Taslima Nasreen and Nandigram: Interview on IBNlive.com with Karan Thapar

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 03:33:02 IST 2007

As much as I am an admirer of A Roy's wit and
intelligence and her stance on various issues;I don't
agree with her stance on this particular one,that
is,if one can call it one.
1. I wonder why people try to argue away the offense
felt by someone with statements like "its too great a
religion and should not be bothered by something so
inconsequential" ,which is very subjective.If someone
gets shot by a gun,do you treat the wound or try to
argue it away somehow,that oh you shouldn't feel the
pain it shouldn't really hurt etc.? A non physical
offense felt by a person is as real as a physical one.
You can say that you have got to put up with it;but
saying that you shouldn't actually have felt it in the
first place;is just plain silly and condescending.

2.I have said this before and I want to repeat it. We
should not shy away from making the distinction
between  genuine critique and downright
provocation,politically correct reductionism not
withstanding. Its not that difficult.When you read or
come across something,you can easily make it out.The
printing of Mohammed cartoons repeatedly was
provocation,not a genuine critique.Some of the
language used by Taslima falls in the same category,as
Karan Thapar has rightly pointed out.
3.I think that the "unwashed masses",rural or
urban,feel that the media and the intelligentsia  have
an "up yours" attitude towards them and I dont blame
them for it.If some people in the media would have
come out and called Taslima, Hussain etc for bad
taste;the unwashed masses would probably not have
wanted to get them banned etc They probably feel that
they do not have a voice in media,which is what shapes
the thoughts and minds and thats why they try to take
matters into their own hands.

regards
Rahul

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/if-treated-like-taslima-id-give-up-writing/53464-3-single.html

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/53464/12_2007/devils_arundathi1/if-treated-like-taslima-id-give-up-writing.html

> [...]
> terms of Nandigram?
>
> Arundhati Roy: I think very successfully because we
> are discussing her and
> not Nandigram right now.
>
> Karan Thapar: So he’s failed to stand by any of
> the constitutional duties
> that as a Chief Minister he should have upheld?
>
> Arundhati Roy: I should say at this point that we do
> not have the
> constitutional right to free speech. We have many
> caveats between us and
> free speech so maybe he has upheld the
> constitutional rights to us not
> having free speech.
>
> Karan Thapar: On Friday, Taslima announced that
> three pages from her
> autobiography Dwikhandito, which allegedly had given
> offence to critics,
> are to be withdrawn. Do you see that as a sensible
> compromise or a mistake?
>
> Arundhati Roy: Well, neither. She does not have any
> choices. She is just
> like a person who has now got the protection of the
> mafia which is the
> state in some way. She has nowhere to go. She has no
> protection. She just
> has to blunder her way through this kind of
> humiliation and I really feel
> for her.
>
> Karan Thapar: You used an interesting phrase. You
> said she has to blunder
> her way through this humiliation. Was withdrawing
> those three pages,
> admittedly under pressure, a blunder?
>
> Arundhati Roy: I don’t know. Honestly, we can all
> be very brave in the
> security of our lives but she has nobody to turn to
> and nowhere to go. I
> don’t know what I would have done in that
> situation.
>
> Karan Thapar: She had no other choice, perhaps.
>
> Arundhati Roy:She really is in a mess. I think it is
> a reflection on all of
> us.
>
> Karan Thapar: Let’s come to the issues and the
> principle that underlie
> what I call the Taslima Nasreen story. To begin
> with, do you view freedom
> of speech as an absolute freedom, without any
> limitations or would you
> accept that there are certain specific constraints
> that we all have to
> accept?
>
> Arundhati Roy: It is a complicated question and has
> been debated often. I
> personally, do view it as something that should have
> no caveats for this
> simple reason that in a place where there are so
> many contending beliefs,
> so many conflicting things, only the powerful will
> then decide what those
> caveats should be and those caveats will always be
> used by the powerful.
>
> Karan Thapar: So you’re saying that given the fact
> that many people are
> vulnerable, freedom of speech for them should have
> no caveats, it should be
> absolute and that’s their only protection?

=== message truncated ===