[Reader-list] On research at the I Fellows Workshop

Rashmi Sadana rs2295 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 5 18:43:15 IST 2007

A few thoughts on Tuesday’s panel on the practice of research
featuring what I thought were four really excellent and inspiring
presentations by Sabitha, Yousuf, Rahaab, and Mahmood. It was a great
example of how innovative and compelling research  (and research that
keeps growing in new directions, as Shudda aptly reminded us) comes
out of one’s deepest curiosities, however idiosyncratic they may seem
at first.

I think I can safely say we were all wowed by Yousuf’s postage-size
image of a Sufi shrine that turned out to be part of a larger “Hindu”-
themed poster, which was then revealed to be an even more “complete”
photograph of that poster hanging alongside, and ultimately framed by
a Technicolor-array of packaged chips and Haldiram snacks on the wall
of an ordinary dukaan. This unveiling of perspectives brilliantly
displayed Yousuf’s research subject, his methodology, and his
analysis of his material (or theoretical take, if you like) all in
one. Throughout his presentation, with all of those jaunty colors and
seemingly incongruous images passing us by, I kept thinking,
“interdisciplinary” is much too banal a concept to capture this
kaleidoscope of an archive!  Which led me to a more serious thought:
What is this magical space that is created in between disciplines?
What does it produce and what are its own constraints?

Seems to me in all four cases presented on this panel, “old” objects
(be they Malayalee women’s journals, Urdu literary texts, historical
photographs or mass-produced religiously themed posters) were being
framed in new ways – which is exactly what interdisciplinary research
is supposed to allow. And yet, part of this framing, I felt, was the
“outer” disciplinary line of questioning that each of them brought to
their subjects – whether as poets or performers or filmmakers or
archivists. But, at the same time, this panel showed – quite
crucially, I believe - that being out of a disciplinary framework
does not mean not having a framework or analytical understanding of
one’s material or at certain points in the amassing of that material.
Which is to say I think the distinction between the practitioner and
researcher is a false one, or at least that it should be.

So when Mahmood talked about his research into the Dastan Goi
literary tradition, and started to lament the fact that he had
stopped doing research since he now approached the archive as a
performer, and so looked for specific things from it, things that
would enhance his next performance, I thought, no, that’s exactly
what the best research is – when the need to ask particular questions
(the questions of the performer in his case) is motivated by the
desire to create a response (a performance, or a poem, or the
arrangement of an archive, etc.) to the archive that in turn offers
up its own critical perspective in the doing. I guess I see that as
the potentially happy marriage between theory and practice. But then
I’m an idealist, so…

--Rashmi