[Reader-list] [Announcements] Documentary and Reportage in Comics: Fourth Comic Book Reading by Sarnath Banerjee

Amitabh Kumar amitabh at sarai.net
Wed Dec 12 19:38:13 IST 2007

Sarai-CSDS and the FIRC ( French Information Resource Center) are
pleased to announce the 4th Comic Book Reading, ' Modern Heresies' by
Sarnath Banerjee.

The roots  of the Comic Book form can be traced back to the 16th
century 'execution' posters in England. Subsequently , it went on to
grow into other such forms of reportage and advertising. These
include the event reportage and illustrations used in the dailies
(much before the half penny revolution) such as the police eyewitness
accounts and the war diaries. This was how comics were born. Humour
and Adventure / Fantasia later became styles/genres that defined the
form. Blinding all other genres. Outside of the well-worn path of
biography and autobiography,non-fiction has traditionally been one of
the most frustratingly under-developed areas of the comics medium.In
our times too Graphical Reportage and Documentary Comics to some is
an oxymoron, as if comics and  documentation in Graphical Reportage
cancel each other out.

We intend to question that.

Sarnath Banerjee will be talking about reportage comics and comics
that have been used as a tool for socio-political commentary and
ethnography.