[Reader-list] ABV - Poetry in slow motion

S.Fatima sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in
Thu Dec 13 19:58:15 IST 2007

Poetry in slow motion

He's the invisible force of Indian politics. Former
prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee has been
incommunicado--the uncharitable say, in a coma--for
some months now and his current condition is a mystery
that Sherlock would be hard put to solve. Only his
doctor and a few close party colleagues know exactly
what the state of his health is, though there is
little credence given to rumours that he has been
struck speechless by the state of his party and
politics in general. Whatever the state of his health,
we miss his homilies, those long pauses and, of
course, the poetry that everybody tried to analyse.
Last week, some BJP bigwigs went to his residence for
advice on burning issues of the day. Here's how it
went:

First BJP bigwig: Vajpayeeji, we need your advice,
please nod if you mean yes.
Second BJP bigwig: He's been nodding ever since we
walked in, how do we know the difference?
Third BJP bigwig: Never mind, a nod is as good as a
wink.
First BJP bigwig: Yes, but he's caught a lot of winks
as well in the last few months. Vajpayeeji, how do we
handle the nuclear debate in Parliament?
Second BJP bigwig: (After waiting an hour for a
response) There, his knee jerked, did you see it?
Third BJP bigwig: Does that mean, our response so far
has been a knee-jerk one?
Third BJP bigwig: Vajpayeeji, if you can hear us, give
us a sign that you approve of the stand we are taking.
First BJP bigwig: Look, his thumb is pointing
downward, that means he doesn't approve.
Second BJP bigwig: It's been like that since we
arrived. How do we get him to give us a sign?
Third BJP bigwig: I know, we'll ask him to write a
poem, just a few lines, give him a pen and paper.
(hands over a pad and pen).
First BJP bigwig: Look, he's starting to write, it's a
squiggle, but he's writing something.
Second BJP bigwig: How do we know what it is?
Third BJP bigwig: Let's ask his attendant, he should
be able to decipher it. Attendant, can you tell us
what Vajpayeeji has written?
Attendant: (Looks at the pad). Yes, I can make out
what he writes.
Bigwigs: Fantastic, we finally have a sign. What does
it say?
Attendant: (wearily) It's the same line he writes
every afternoon.
Bigwigs: But what does it say? Is it something
profound, something deep and weighty?
Attendant: Yes, it certainly is all of that. It's his
lunch order and it's the same thing every day, rice
and deep-fried prawn.

Bigwigs emerge from the house and meet the press.

Reporters: How did your meeting with Vajpayee go, did
he give you any advice?
First bigwig: Yes, he gave us plenty of food for
thought.
Second bigwig: (wearily) Actually, it was the other
way around.

from:

http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in?option=com_myblog&show=Poetry-in-slow-motion.html&contentid=2336

      Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups