[Reader-list] Chronicle of a Fiasco Foretold

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 19:02:22 IST 2007

After months of gnashing our teeth at the evil French authorities,
Bangladeshi museum artefacts have indeed been stolen. But it's a 100%
Made In Bangladesh affair.

I listened over many a cha cup to endless conspiracy theories about
how Musee Guimet, Paris was going to steal our priceless buddhist
icons. But in the end the robbery happened before Air France could
take off. From the "heavily guarded" ZIA International Airport tarmac,
Dhaka.

The shaken French embassy official I spoke with was (silently)
grateful that at least the vanishing was in Bangladesh. Imagine the
diplomatic hau-kau if this was not uncovered until the plane landed in
Paris. Who do you think we would blame then? Hmm...

The missing crate, Crate # 5, was found the next day, but not the
priceless Visnu statues inside. In Bengali, a huge robbery is called
"pukur churi" (literally pond theft). As a mordant touch, the crate
was found next to a pond.

With the right touch of dramatics, three activists have begun a "fast
unto death" at the Dhaka Shaheed Minar demanding the return of the
artefacts. Yes, I'm sure that will work.

I don't mean to be cynical, it's life that's making me this way...

At Last The Inevitable, Statues Vanish From Airport Tarmac
http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/2007/12/23/missing-statues/

Tintin In Bengal (revised)
http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/2007/12/01/tintin-bengal/

Asterix & The Big Fight