[Reader-list] Rs125 crore spent on Mutton in one day in Kashmir....

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:02:52 IST 2007

Dear All,

I "did the math" as suggested by Babu.  Acc to the census of india
website - the projected population of J&K in 2006 is 11,603,000.
Adopting simple unitary method; if 11,603,000 people spend Rs
125,00,00,000;
each person spends Rs 107.7 on eid

However, if each kilo of meat costs Rs 90; 24 lakh kilos of meat shall
cost Rs 21,60,00,000 or about Rs 22 crore- which is significantly
lower than the Rs 125 crore cited by the article.  Cleary the 125
crore includes money spent on other things - presumably masalas to
cook the meat etc.

Thus each person spends a total of Rs 107.7
of which about Rs 18.6 is on meat - which shall buy him/her about 200
grams of meat.
That leaves about Rs 89 for other things.

However, a UNI that i have pasted below suggests that the govt fixed
price is actually Rs 125 per kilo - which means our 24 lakh kilos of
meat now cost Rs 30,00,00,000 or Rs 30 crore - which means each
kasmiri now spends about Rs 26 on meat for the same 200 grams.

However, the article suggests that meat is actually being sold at Rs
150 per kilo! A true case of blackmarketing and profiteering if there
ever was one.
Which suggests even more spent per person on that 200 grams of meat -
and even less on other things.  Further, a tribune article from 2004
-suggests that the price of meat was fixed at a flat Rs 60 - 3 years
ago - so it seems that meat prices have been steadily rising - to the
extent that the govt fixed price has risen by a 108 per cent in three
years!  As we all know - rising prices are a sign of surplus
production, supply far outstripping demand and people getting richer
and richer and richer to actually push the prices up inspite of the
economy doing so well.  Clearly kashmir much be doing really really
well.  And to think we in Delhi are forced to pay low prices for our
mutton - how typical of this kashmiri appeasing government!
best
a.

Srinagar: After the shifting of civil secretariat, the seat of the
government, to the winter capital Jammu, the local administration in
Kashmir has almost become non existence as the prices of essential
commodities have gone up and there is acute electricity shortage.
People in general in the valley alleged that prices of almost all
essential commodities has gone up after the shifting of office to
Jammu on November 1.
There was a sudden increase of Rs two per kg milk being supplied by
different milk agencies in the valley.
There is no checking of prices and shopkeepers are selling the
essential commodities on higher prices defying the government approved
rate, said Muhammad Altaf, a telephone booth owner.
A UNI correspondent who visited different markets in the city saw
shopkeepers selling their products on very high rates.
A butcher in the civil line area was selling one kg of meat at Rs 150
against the government approved rate of Rs 125.
The rate of one dozen eggs which was Rs 22 before shifting of the
offices is now Rs 28 to Rs 30, depending upon the area.
Altaf alleged that the flying squads set up by the administration to
check the prices are in league with the shopkeepers. They are getting
their share in the profit from the shopkeepers, he said adding for
records the members of the flying squad are booking some small
shopkeepers.
The price of one kg cheese which was Rs 70 a fortnight ago has risen
to Rs 80 to 90 now. Similarly the prices of all pulses has also gone
up by Rs 10 to Rs 15 per kg. An increase of Rs 30 was also registered
in five kg tin of cooking oil of different brands. The price of half a
kg butter which was Rs 72 before shifting of offices to Jammu, has
gone up by Rs ten while Rs 100 to Rs 200 increase was recorded per
quintal of rice. Ten kg of flour which was Rs 110 earlier is now being
sold at Rs 150 and prices of chicken has also gone up to Rs 65 per kg
against the government approved rate of Rs 55.
The prices of vegetables have also gone up by Rs five to Rs ten per kg.
The common people in Kashmir alleged that the divisional
administration and the consumer affairs department have failed to get
the prices fixed by the government implemented.
They alleged that no action is being taken against the shopkeepers
even after making complaints with concerned agencies.
The power crisis get complicated in the valley after the shifting of
darbar move offices. Besides ten hour daily power curtailment, people
in the Kashmir valley alleged that there is frequent electricity
failure during other parts of the day also.
People at several places took to streets protesting the power failures. UNI