[Reader-list] Encounter MAID In INDIA

Syed Yunus delhi.yunus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:14:12 IST 2007

Yesterday New delhi 25 faced a major crises. most of the house maids
in the area were on leave and the housewives a little angry.
complaining that 'these maids always do this.. there is so much to do
and all my work has been delayed'..blah..blah. Apparantly it is a very
common phenomanon, which can be easily ignored but i was forced to
think about it when my mother,sister in law and a neighbour aunty
repeated the same anguish. I thought may be the scheduled demolition
drive on the bank of yamuna is the reason for it and people might be
worried for their shelters, the Urdu News papers also displayed full
page features on the demolition .
Most of these Maids  are bangla speaking and  live along the banks of
yamuna in the so   called  'unathorised' illegal colonies or
settlement . Our maid also lives in the same settlement and she didn't
come yesterday for washing. Today when my mom enquired about  her
'Bunk' she said that she was picked up by the Police on the charges of
being  a bangladeshi, she was kept in the PS Chitranjan park  for
almost five hours and released only when her husband brought the
'evidence' of her being indian. she said "More than 50 people were
picked from her area at 3.am last night and  only those who carried
some 'proof' were 'released free'," others were beaten and their
freedom cost them around 2000-2500 rupees per head. There was no news
coverage of it.

Day before yesterday our delhi polices performed an encounter in which
four people were killed for allegedly being terrosist. the event might
and might not have something to do with raids in my 'maids' area but
raids in bangla speeking ghetto of low income group people are common
and it appear more ' Normal' whenevr there is any threat to our
national security. Around five years back I heard similar stories in
seema puri from bangla speaking people. no body came to help them as
it was a political issue.

so now I have some disturbing pictures with me .whenever encounter
happens in the city, muslim ghetto area is raided,bangla speaking
people are charged as infilteraters and locked up, freedom is
purchased and Maids go on a mass bunk.

Have you ever encountered maids in India ?

--

Change is the only constant in life !