[Reader-list] [Announcements] call for entries: international water film fest

Water Journeys waterjourneys at rediffmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:00:32 IST 2007

Voices from the Waters 2007
2nd International Film Festival on Water

Call for entries

Bangalore Film Society in collaboration with Water Journeys and CIEDS collective is organizing the second edition of the International Film Festival on Water titled ‘Voices from the Water 2007’. The first edition of the festival was successfully held in April 2004 in Bangalore, India. The festival is a series of film screenings and conferences held over three days that aim to create general awareness and inspire dialogues among the general public on water- a precious, seamless natural resource that is becoming increasingly scarce and deviously comodified.

We invite you to be part of this event by contributing short, documentary and feature films (DVD/VCD formats) with English subtitles on water and related issues. Further, we would appreciate a preview copy of any films you would wish to send so that we may place them in one of the five categories of the festival, Water Scarcity, The Dams and the Displaced, Water Harvest, Water Struggles and Water and Life. We would duly acknowledge your participation. While there is no entry fee, ‘Voices From the Waters’ being a public awareness program, films for the festival will be short-listed by a committee composed of film-makers and social activists.

Should you need more information about us, please do get in touch with us. Deadline for entries is 15th April, 2007.

Looking forward to your participation.

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,

BFS team

Contact:-

Siddharth Pillai,
33/1-9, Thyagaraja Layout,
Jai Bharath Nagar,
M.S. Nagar P.O.,
Bangalore- 560 033,
Karnataka,
India.
Tel: 91- 80- 25493705
Email: bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in

Bangalore Film Society:-

Bangalore Film Society is a non profit membership based organization committed to explore the cultural politics and how it impacts and shapes the modern cultural practices, politics and social behaviour. We volunteer to screen feature and documentary films for the film society members, in colleges and institutions.  Our aim is to introduce the contemporary socio-political-cultural concerns through cinema among the youth and initiate discussions, as also to inculcate among the youth a deep sense of humanism, pluralism, and an appreciation of diversity. We also attempt to open up pluralist cultural spaces for progressive perspectives on notions of justice, rights, racial equality and so on to enable the participants to visualise images of – a world free from intolerance, violence and injustice.

Water Journeys:-

Water Journeys is to screen films on water issues, water struggles, water conservation and related issues in schools, colleges and communities to start a dialogue on the issue of control and use of water. It aims at networking with agencies involved in the protection and preservation of lakes, rivers and other water bodies.

CIEDS collective:-

CIEDS is a thirty-year-old organization that critiques the contemporary development paradigm which has created pockets of plenty and abysmal poverty across the globe. The homocentric development paradigm treats the earth as a commodity, which will have catastrophic effects on nature and the environment. We are already victims of such an approach. CIEDS in its involvement with present socio-political issues concerning women, tribals, Dalits, environment, culture and so on, attempts a nature-centric vision and sustainable development.

Campaign for the fundamental right to water,
C/o No.33/1-9, Thyagaraj Layout,
Jai Bharath Nagar,
Maruthisevanagar P.O,
Bangalore-560 033.

"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water" - Loran Eisley