[Reader-list] Time and governance - special issue, part I

p.hatzopoulos-alumni at lse.ac.uk p.hatzopoulos-alumni at lse.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 23:40:54 IST 2007

New online journal Re-public ( www.republic.gr/en <http://www.republic.gr/en> )  has just published the first part of its special issue "Time and governace". The issue explores the multiple intersections between time and politics in the attempt to rethink democratic theory and practice. Articles include:

Robert Hassan– No future: Democracy in the age of neoliberal speed   ( http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=115 <http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=115> )

Democracy will eventually die if we continue to unthinkingly accept that our short-termism and reliance on abstract market mechanisms will look after our future.

  _____

Neni Panourgia - Kant, civil war and the folds of meaning  (http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=118 <http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=118>  )

Do Civil Wars determine time? Or, otherwise, are Civil Wars determined by time, asks Neni Panourgia, with particular reference to the Greek Civil War,

  _____

Kingsley Dennis - Real-time and the politics of presence ( http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=117 <http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=117> )
Dennis sees the success in civil participation and mobilisation as relying more on connectivity and speed than content and power.
  _____

Bryce Goebel - "what lies behind the notion of progress" ( http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=119 <http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=119> )
Goebel captures the relevance of (Pink Floyd's) "Time" today.

  _____

All articles of Re-public are published with a Creative Commons license and can be re-printed freely, by acknowledging their source.