[Reader-list] Charitra

Amit Basu amitrbasu50 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Feb 25 23:50:14 IST 2007

Charitra[Character]: A Docudrama on Rape, 67 min.
  How could a documentary film represent rape on the screen without trivializing the issue and bring out various perspectives and nuances that politically accentuates on different positions? I think Nilanjan Datta’s documentary presented in a loose story structure of a filmmaker and an actor who are out in the actual field to frame a documentary, is one of those rare examples.
It starts with Susma Agarwals’ outspoken interview and slowly gets the viewer into the discourse with more figures emerging to enrich the debate on rape and the resistance needed to act on such events. I was amazed to know that in a district adjacent to Kolkata, one particular village has witnessed more than hundred rapes (only 32 recorded in FIR) in a year!
Nilanjan has dealt the issue with mastery and instead being prophetic or judgemental forces us to take positions and ends up with an open question on male sexual desire. The film is a gripping one and glues the viewer to the seat for more than an hour. It is a film that would be very handy for activists to provoke discussion and explains the myth around rape.
I wish Sarai will be interested to screen this film, which I think is a rare documentation on this issue.