[Reader-list] vedavati thought you would like "wrap the body of muslim terrorist with pig skin"

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Feb 26 14:29:13 IST 2007

Dear All,

Let me clarify at the very beginning that I find the contents of the
exchange between Vedavati and Abhit (which we have all been subjected to
because of Vedavati's forward, with comment, of Abhik's off list email
to her) sad and deplorable. While Abhik's language betrays an
unfortunate misogyny, Vedavati's postings and responses are not exactly
exemplars of liberality and tolerance.

This is not the first time that Vedavati Jogi has posted material on
this list that many on this list will find objectionable, just as there
are many others on this list who post material that Vedavati, and
perhaps some others on this list might have found objectionable. We have
had other instances such as this in the past with others as well. The
history of a list such as this grows to accommodate all manner of
eccentricities, and that is a sign of the health and robustness of a
free and open electronic space. It is in the nature of an unmoderated
(that is uncensored) list such as this, that some people will use the
platform to post material that many of us will consider reprehensible.
However, I would suggest that one way to respond to such provocation is
also to not necessarily dignify every such provocation with a response.

Abhik Samanta has written in his private capacity to Vedavati, and not
on the list. So his post (no matter how objectionable and misogynist its
content may be, which I think it is, even though I can understand his
outrage at Vedavati's clear act of hate speech) is not technically a
breach of list etiquette.

Vedavati's reply to Abhik which is addressed both to Abhik and to the
list is however a clear case of someone dragging what is essentially a
private exchange between two people on to the public space of the list.
Doing so,without asking for the permission of the concerned persons (and
there is no indication that she has asked Abhik) is a clear breach of
list eitquette.

As a list member, I would advise all other list members (including
Vedavati, and Abhik) to try and refrain from blowing this issue out of
proportion. I personally find the sentiments that Vedavati is asking us
to consider (in the blog whose url she has forwarded) pathetic.

I personally think that the real power of Hindutva-vadis lies in their
ability to hog public attention. Just ignore what is said by
Hindutva-vaids , be amused, at best by the sad level of the arguments
and the rhetoric that they put forward, and see how powerful your
unwillingness to pay attention to their agenda can be.

I hope this puts an end to what might become an otherwise unpleasant
distraction on this busy list.

regards,

Shuddha