[Reader-list] Screening of my film, 'Ayodhya Gatha'

surovani_hotmail surovani at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 11:00:04 IST 2007

Dear all,

If you're not doing something terribly exciting this Saturday evening, do
come for the first screening of my film 'Ayodhya Gatha' at 6.30 at Gulmohar
in the IHC.

It's being screened along with another film (see the formal invite and
synopsis below).

Hope to see you there...
Cheers
Vani

The Public Service Broadcasting Trust (PSBT)
and The British Council

present

AYODHYA GATHA
Director:  Vani Subramanian
Producer: PSBT

&

THE BRIGHTON BOMB
Director/ Producer: Sandy Smith

Shortlisted for Best Historical Documentary, Grierson Awards 2005
(The Grierson Awards recognise the best documentary films from Britain and
abroad.)

Saturday, January 6th, 2006 at 6:30pm
Venue: Gulmohar Hall, India Habitat Centre.
Lodhi Road, New Delhi

AYODHYA GATHA (60 mins)

Ayodhya. It's a site of conflict and contestation, a symbol of communal
divide and aspirations. But even as events here have determined the fate of
the nation, what have they, in turn, done to life and living in this small
town?

Today, the streets of Ayodhya seem to have lost touch with the feet of her
residents. Blocked and barricaded, our only access to them is through
memory, the telling of stories, the hearing of tales, the 'gatha' of her
people.

Physically and metaphorically travelling together, the narrator and
residents talk about what it has meant to grow up on streets crowded with
armies of kar sevaks. To feel fervour and the fear on your way to work,
school or play. To live in lanes echoing with the sounds of communal
propaganda.

Ayodhya Gatha weaves together a tapestry of perspectives on how deeply the
politics of hate affect personal, everyday lives, and what it takes to
negotiate your way out of these labyrinths.

How calm is the eye of the storm?

THE BRIGHTON BOMB (60mins)

Marking the 20th anniversary of the IRA's attempt to blow up the cabinet,
this film sought to revisit the tragedy and heroism of the Brighton bombing.
In the process, the team managed to uncover new evidence of security
failings and interviewed people who had never spoken before - from the hotel
chambermaid to Margaret Tebbit. The aim and achievement was to bring in an
audience that remembered and those who were too young at the time to know or
understand what had really happened.

vani subramanian
359 sfs flats
hauz khas