[Reader-list] 2006 year review part 1 (bollywood)

mihir pandya miyaa_mihir at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 23:33:07 IST 2007

Hi comrades,
  Year 2006 coming to end. Year 2006
 the most happening year in my life. The news: - I was turned 21 this year! And this is my first full year in national capital Delhi . As I called the most happening year or as in Mr. Tariq Ali style you called it a ‘street fighting’ year. Or as in our time people called it: - the ‘rang de basanti’ year! I was at the back seat on a fast running motorbike around India gate at 2:30 night. I was there on national TV debating on reservations. And I was there fighting a lost battle for a cause. The DUSU elections.
  But the year review is not about me. It’s about what I enjoyed in this beautiful, happening year. Something common, something not so common.

  Best movie of the year (bollywood) :- the year started with “rang de basanti” and finished with “lage raho munnabhai” the 2 most discussed, debated movies of the year. And most of you know that I was there in the front row in these debates. I wrote 3 part review on rang de and currently doing a project work on lage raho in my department as an optional paper. But my vote for ‘THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR” goes to a still underrated movie, the unusual one: - “khosla ka ghosla”

  Movie of the year: - khosla ka ghosla.
  I watched this strange middle class family drama three times in cinema hall and 2 times on TV/comp. and my strange comment on that, “this is a hard, serious movie. kkg simply did one thing, it puts a mirror on your face.” (ppl who watched this movie understand how strange my comment was.)
  The ultimate Charlie Chaplin said, “Life is a tragedy when seen in close up, but a comedy in long shot” and dibakar banerji’s khosla ka ghosla is a ‘long shot’ of our life. He does that so perfectly because he read the most important book very carefully
 the book of life. The most interesting stories are here if you read carefully. As wise ppl said, “truth is stranger than fiction” this is a film which reminds me my favorite “jaane bhi do yaaron”
  Every camera angle, every background score punch, every reaction was so perfect. Typical Delhi based Punjabi middle class family whose dream was a house in ‘south Delhi’ but slowly you realize that this is only patriarch’s dream. The film is about a hesitated man. Like his friend said, “Complaining type” Mr. khosla (anupam kher) And a super villain kishan khurana (boman irani). The film is special because at the end you find that khurana also has his fears. This is the Third dimension. This is what makes a film ‘movie of the year’. In small roles actors like vinod nagpal, kiran juneja, vinay pathak done wondors. But my man was ranveer shourey as bunty. He demands a special column on him as I do

  And with mentioning kkg I am doing one more thing. I acknowledge Mr. jaideep sahni’s work. Kkg was his brain child. He did the dialog, script, screenplay, creative production.
  He has a very unique understanding towards what we called our cities. We saw that in ‘bunty aur bubbli’ (he done the script) and now with kkg he shows that again. He catches ‘small town middle class mentality’ at best. So young man
 go ahead, we are watching you!
  This choice affected by one thing. I still not watched ‘omkara’.

  Comedy of the year: - pyaar ke side effects.
  Finally we have a comedy which don’t demand us to leave our minds home! Rahul bose is my favorite and with ranveer shurey they are better then munnabhai and circuit. Actually as we called this is year of comedy.

  Let down of the year: - fanaa.
  After ‘hum-tum’ my acceptations with kunal kohli are higher. And then the news: - kunal is making a movie on Kashmir with kajol-amir first time together. But at the end I had to say that even a movie like gangster is better then fanaa because it says love and faith are the most noble values on earth. Fanaa is a let down on that front.

  Good ones from 2006: - dor, taxi no. 9211, kabhi alvida na kahna (yes, this is the best karan johar done yet) Kabul express, don, RDB, lage raho munnabhai, being cyrus, yun hota to kya hota (good movie with a senseless end. Naseer bhai what actually you trying to say?)

  Stand out performer of the year: - ranveer shourey.
  As balwant khosla urf bunty in khosla ka ghosla and narayanan iyer urf naanu in pyaar ke side effects. (This includes his hilarious comedy with vinay pathak in “cricket crazy” on espn and “the great Indian comedy show” on star one. Missed his 3rd movie in this year, “mixed doubles”)
  In kkg his hariyanvi accent and attitude did the thing. In pkse he is a notch higher then rahul bose. His sense of humor is an added quality in his acting like rahul bose. What I say about him. People just go and watch him. He is the man from our generation portraying ‘us’ so perfectly. Showing our imperfections so perfectly!
  Runner-ups: - boman irani and arshad warsi.

  Term of the year: - Gandhigiri.
  With munnabhai meets mahatma and the much talked term arrived, “gandhigiri” and suddenly all over the place flowers and ‘get well soon’ cards arrived. Now just watch how market captures Gandhi as a saleable product.
  And don’t forget the ‘candle light march’s’ on India gate’ inspired by rang de basanti.

  Classic revisited: - do bigha jameen.
  With singur’s backdrop watch bimal roy’s do bigha jameen one more time. In this SEZ time you will find a whole new meaning here.

this is something about bollywood. In coming days you will find something like this on TV, music, books etc

  Enjoy 2007

  Happy New Year

  Love you all

miHir