[Reader-list] Fwd: Re: India's First Audio Copyrighting ?

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 17:11:01 IST 2007

Play the song listed at the link below.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindustani_vocal/m/artist.210/

at the end of the thumri Gauhar Jaan signs off in english by saying
something like "...my name is Gauhar Jaan [this]is my song" (its not very
clear)

she is the first artist to be ever recorded in India. see below for her
detailed and fascinating history
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/gauhar.htm

Doordarshan has recordings of Gauhar Jaan and i think they also have a CD
out.

Janakibai aka 'chhapan chhuri' also seems to be a fascinating character...
see below

>From worldspace radio - below is a list form their gandharva channel thats
worth checking out.
http://www.worldspace.in/voice/roundup.htm
*Gandharv Programme Director Geeta Sahai revisits five ancient and benchmark
Hindustani classical recordings that find regular airtime on her channel  *

   1. Gauhar Jaan *(Raag Jogiya*) – One of the first and finest legends
   of Hindustani music in the last century, Gauhar Jaan was the first vocalist
   to record with the gramophone company. This historic recording dates back to
   1902.
   2. Ustad Abdul Karim Khan *(Raag Bahar) –* The founder of the Kirana
   gharana, he was a visionary who was receptive to the idea of recording his
   music in an age when it was considered taboo. This is one of his earliest
   recordings dating back to 1906.
   3. Ustad Bundu Khan *(Raag Bhairavi) – *pioneer with conviction, he
   was the first musician to take the sarangi out of its 'accompanying
   instrument' role and went on to become the first soloist sarangi player. His
   new vision of the sarangi took the music world by storm in the 1930s.
   4. Janakibai of Allahabad *(Thumri: Rasili tori ankhiyaan *) – One of
   the most celebrated thumri singers, she was always shrouded in enigma and
   controversies. The tragedy of the 56 knife stabs by an admirer that earned
   her the name of 'chhapan chhuri' and her romantic ideals come alive in this
   thumri composed by her.
   5. Pt. Suresh Babu Mane *(Raag Bhairavi) – *Son of the legendary Ustad
   Abdul Karim Khan and hailed as a promising musical genius, he mysteriously
   disappeared into oblivion, poverty and early death. This rare recording is a
   poignant insight into all that Hindustani music world lost with his death.

Zindabad,

Vishal