[Reader-list] Secular?

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Mon Jan 29 22:24:10 IST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 11:03 -0500, Sunandan K.N. wrote:
> In USA the Chritisn groups (majority) do not believe or accept the
> constitution.. they work against abortion rights guaranteed by the
> constitution, against gay marriage and so on.
> In India the hindu fundamentalist are the one who are not accepting
> the 'rule of the land'. As per the 'rule of the land' (constitution of
> India) people believing in different religion can follow different
> rules. But Hindu terrorists want their law to be 'law for all' and
> they dont mind taking law into their hand.
[...]

I suggest that you review your knowledge of both constitutions. Neither
one provides the guarantees that you claim (it is a matter of law, not
enshrined in the constitution). Also, while I completely agree that the
people pushing one law for all are quite likely religious bigots, and
are using that banner to push their own agenda, I have no problems with
the principle of a single law of the land.

Regards,
Gora