[Reader-list] The Detention of Dr. Haneef in Australia

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 09:15:27 IST 2007

While it is heartening to see the support of the
liberals in Australia for Haneef, the silence of the
Indian community in Australia (or even in India) also
doesn't surprize us. When Haneef's wife said the other
day that if Australian govt doesn't treat her husband
fairly, all the Indians will soon turn against
Australia - I was quite amused, since one knows that
hardly any Indian would like to do that. How can we
support someone who we haven't stopped suspecting
ourselves! The Indian students community in Australia
was recently in the news for taking an initiative of
guarding their neighbourhood against the attakers in
Sydney, but would they come on the streets to support
this Indian in trouble - no chance. In fact, the
Hindu-Muslim divide and seclusion among the NRI
community is probably wider than in India.

It is quite courageous for Manmohan Singh to have come
out publicly in support of Dr.Haneef, although one can
predict that his political opponents would use this as
an excuse to call him a supporter of the terrorism.
One also wonders whether the PM should make such
remarks about one Indian stuck abroad, while a large
numbers of innocent citizens in India itself are
subject to a much worse detention and torture by the
Indian police in the name of terrorism.

Yousuf

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/18/1981921.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/slow-burn-that-led-team-to-make-transcript-public/2007/07/18/1184559867716.html