[Reader-list] Fw: Haneef's interrogation transcripts

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 20:25:42 IST 2007

The Hindu just published the transcripts of the
Dr.Haneef's interrogation by the Australian Police -
these were later removed from the official Australian
website, but you can see them at
http://www.hindu.com/nic/0058/haneef.htm

Some excerpts here (some of it rather hillarious)

17/07/2007 18:47   07-3666-7499	THE AUSTRALIAN
TAPED RECORD OF INTERVIEW BETWEEN DETECTIVE SERGEANT
ADAM SIMMS AND MOHAMED HANEEF CONDUCTED ON THE 3™ JULY
2007 AT AFP HEADQUARTERS 203 WHARF STREET BRISBANE.
PERSONS PRESENT:	Detective Sergeant Adam SIMMS
Federal Agent Nell THOMPSON
Mohamed HANEEF
TIME COMMENCED:	ll.Olam

Ql.      Okay time is now 11,01am on the 3rd of July
2007. My name is Detective
Sergeant Adam SIMMS. I'm attached to the Joint Counter
Terrorism Team in Brisbane and I have with me
Mohamed HANEEF. Mohamed I've just said your name,
could you just pronounce your name for me please.
A.        Mohamed HANEEF,	'       •   '    -
Q2.      HANEEF. Okay and your date of birth please.
A.         29 09 1979.
Q3.      Now just with Mohamed. How do you spell that.

A.        Ah on my records it's M 0 H A single MED.
But ifs pronounces Mohamed, proper pronunciation.
Q4.      Okay.  Do you have a middle name.
A.        No. People call me Adhtr as a nickname, my
family.
Q5.      Okay. And Haneef how do you spell that.
A.         H A N double E F.
Q6.      Okay. And your date of birth.
A.         29 09 1979.
Q7.     And your place of birth.
A.         Mudigere,
Q8.     Could you spell that please.
A.         MU DIG ERE.  ..................
Q9.      India.
A.         India.
Q10.   So can I just put Mudigere,
A.        Mudigere.
QI1.   Mudigere sorry.
A.        Yeah.
Q12.    India.
A.       India.
Q13.   Yeah. Okay. Mohamed, before we go further III
just have other people in the room state their

particulars. Starting with my partner.
THOMPSON
Neil Martin THOMPSON, Federal Agent 2435.
Q14.   Okay Mohamed, do you agree that there's no
other person In the interview
room. A.        Yes.
Q15.    Just myself, Federal Agent THOMPSON and
yourself.
A.        Yeah.
Q,t6.    Okay. Just let you know that this interview's
going to be tape recorded. By that I mean that there's
a microphone situated to your left there. It's going
to be, everything that's said during this interview is
going to be picked up and recorded on those cassette
tapes that we've got behind us, as well as the video
tapes.

Do you understand that.
A.       Yes.
Q17.    Are you happy to participate in an interview
whereby it's being recorded in
such a manner,
A.       Yeah.
Q18.   Okay. Just for the purposes of voice
identification and later clarification as to
who's speaking. A.
Q19.   I just ask that if I'm speaking at a particular
time, you dont talk over me and
likewise I'll try to do the same.
A.        Okay.
Q20.    However if you don't understand something I'm
saying, please by all, or even Federal Agent

THOMPSON, if you don't understand something he's
saying, please stop us and we'll try to explain it.
Just explain that you don't understand and well try to
reword it somehow.
A.        Okay.
Q21.    Now at the conclusion of the interview you'll
be provided with an entire copy of ttie record of
interview, So if it, might be two tapes, three tapes,
four tapes. You get a copy of each tape.
A.        Okay.
Q22.    You understand that. Now, do you agree that,
actually before we go fnto that. I'll just ask you are
you known by any other names. You mentioned that you
had a nickname.
A.        Only nickname, Adhtr they call me. My
family.
Q23.    And how do you spell that.
A.         ADHTR.
Q24.     A
A.         D H T R.
Q25.    Adhtr.
A.         Adhtr.
Q26.    And is that, where did that corrie from. Is
that a name you use or is it just
ah..
A.        Oh no my family just calls me. I never use
in any of rny documents. Um,
except in my, I think in my ............... when they
did, urn they have .......... As
um, what's that called um nickname.
Q27.    Ah okay you used it as a nickname there,
A,        Yeah.
Q28.    Are you known by anyone outside of your family
by that name.
A,        Um, my family a few of my friends will call
me.
Q29.    But as you said you don't use that in any
official documents or anything like
that.
A.         No.
Q30.   Your nationality.
A.       Indian.
Q31.    Do you have citizenship anywhere else.
A.        No.
Q32.   Okay, so you're an Indian citizen. A.
Yes.
Q33.    And you're in Australia at the moment clearly.
Are you here on a working
Visa or something similar. A.        Yes. A temporary
long stay Visa.
Q34.    Okay. Now your current address. What's the
current address you're living at. A.         Unit 15,
number 45 Pohlman Street.
Q35.    Could you spell that please.
A.        POHLMAN Street. Southport
Q36.    Okay. Now I'll just go back to how you came to
be in custody so that we can get, make it clear that
you understand why you're here today and why you're
here talking to us in this interview.  Do you agree
that last night, at about 2105 hours or 11.05pm, we
spoke to you at the International Airport as you were
boarding a Singapore Airlines flight. I think it was
at the boarding gate there at the International
Terminal.

And I advised you at that time that you were under
arrest. Do you agree with that
A.        Yeah whatever you told me that urn...
Q37.    Do you recall me saying that. A.        Sorry,
Q38.    Do you recall me saying that. That you were
under arrest.
A.        Yes you arrested me um but I, I didn't know
that, ah then you, you said that I have been ah
involved in terrorist activities. But I deny that 1
have been involved in any...
Q39.    Okay. Do you agree that I told you at that
time that you were under arrest
for providing support to terrorist organisation.
A.        Well I haven't, I, I haven't provided...
Q40.    Okay. I understand that but I'm just saying to
you, do you agree that that's
what I said to you,
A.        Wall I, I've submitted to you for whatever
reasons, you have ah taken urn to
clear myself from the whatever charges I am being put
on.
Q41,   Okay. I'm just asking you whether, do you
recall me saying that you were
under arrest. A.        Yes.
Q42.   And you're under arrest for supporting a
terrorist organisation. Just asking if
you recall that. A.       Yeah I recall that.
Q43.    Do you also recall Chat a short time later we
took you to an interview room at
the airport there. A.        Yes. Yes.
Q44.   And I gave you some warnings. Some warnings. I
advised you at that time
that you had a right to a Lawyer to t>e present. A.
    Yeah.
Q45.    Or you could have a friend or relative to be
present. A.        Yeah.
Q46.    Do you recall me saying that.
A.        Yes.
Q47,    And I also advised you that you do not have to
say anything to Police. A.        Yeah.
Q48.   To Federal Agent THOMPSON or myself. As
anything you do say or any
statement you do make may later be used in Court as
evidence.
A.        Yeah.
Q49.    Do you recall me saying that.
A.         Yes.
Q50.   Okay. I'd just like to advise you now that the
same warnings apply.
A.        Okay.
Q61.    I have an obligation as well to ask you if you
would like me to contact your Consulate in town. Now
I'm not sure where the Consulate is. Whether it's in
Brisbane or Sydney but, if you want me to contact them
I will. That's up to you.
A.         Yes.
Q62.    You want me to.
A.       Yes please.
Q63.    Okay. Well what we're going to have to do is
I'm going to have to suspend the interview now and
make contact with your Consulate. Do-yoLrunderst that.
A.        Yeah, Just to, I mean let, let them know.
Urn and my ah family as well. Because they are worried

about, I mean I was supposed to be going there tonight
to Bangalore. So if I'm not there then they will be
really worried.
Q64.    Ok. What well do is well suspend the interview
and we'll make some further
enquiries ok.  You happy with that
A.        Yeah.
Q65.    Ok. I make the time 11.10am. I'll suspend this
interview for the time being to make enquiries with
respect to the Indian Consulate to make contact with
them for Mr Haneef.

TAPE SUSPENDED AT 11.10AM TAPE RESUMED AT 11.31AM

Q66.   Time is now 11.31am again on the 3rd of July
2007. This is a continuation of an interview with
Mohamed Haneef. Mohamed do you agree that we suspended
the interview a little while ago, just about 20
minutes ago, to allow you to call the Indian
Consulate.
A.        Yes.
Q67.    Ok. Do you agree that youVe done that.
A.        Yes I've contacted the.,.
Q6S.    You were provided with the number and you made
contact wtth them.
A.        I did make contact with them.
Q69.    Okr Are you happy to proceed with the
interview.
A.        Yes.