[Reader-list] Brouhaha Over the Veil

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:27:57 IST 2007

I would like to know what the likes of Ms Jogi have to say about the
practice prevalent in Hindu society in the living memory of people in
their sixties and seventies, of "asurjampasya" - "she who is not to be
seen by the sun" (perhaps because the sun could impregnate them): Hindu
women who were not allowed to appear before males not belonging to the
immediate family, and if such appearance was unavoidable, were required
to cover their faces COMPLETELY with a veil (saree's end) coming down to
the chest.

Tapas