[Reader-list] Brouhaha Over the Veil

Anjalika Sagar anjalisaga at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 14:04:27 IST 2007

The permission that men give themselves to gaze ... hmmm. Doesn't  it depend on who is doing the gazing and how one gazes. Womankind should gaze back is what I say if u like what u see, whoever said that it was rude to stare. Personally  I like being gazed at by men who know how to  look. In the UK men do not look at women - many many British women friends complain about this sad condtion and love the attention bestowed upon them in southern Europe for example or in southern America, where men know how to look at women in a way that to me does not only feel lecherous but curious - I   am in Greece right now, and having been here many times before I always register how men do not just look at women up and down  but they ( well women also) look into your eyes, it is bizarre how people acknowledge eachothers presence or beauty, even in fleeting moments such as in traffic for example, a glance will be offered for acknowledgement.

Also there are many nudists on beaches in Greece, with 2000 islands and the heat people do tend to strip - but again I have noticed that men look but do not stare in any kind of oppressive manner. I have experienced the same kind of sense of ease with the body in Germany also in public saunas and by lakes where people just give eachother space.

Being skantilty dressed does not neceessarily mean one is up for it ... right ? Male or female ...

So it is cultural ... but my point here rests with the undeniable fact that Muslim men seems to have issues with women's bodies being revealed, it is them, then surely who have problems when they constantly see womens bodies as sexualized. The whole argument about a Muslim womans' right to cover up seems to be about women saying to themselves.. ' these men, they cant help themselves so I had better cover up '. Men are not animals and should be expected to gaze upon women with more respect and self respect.

Anyway these are my fleeting thoughts - it is so hot here and a girls gotta swim.

Anjali