[Reader-list] Jashn-e-Azadi,A Kashmiri review

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 02:25:21 IST 2007

Dear Kher
Ur long piece on Kak"s Azadi is quite a journalistic one, but you see,
you have obviously  taken a side, and so has Mr. Kak.  So, we are
likely to have another piece which defends Mr. Kak and the reflections
continue. I think this all must lead us to a healthy society. In the
end, I believe we all want a discourse on each pending problem. Don't
we ?

As we all know that we are living in an age of Terrorism, and the
answers to that are very few.  One clear culprit is Anglo-American
approach to 'the other', as we all know, which was always prompted by
cold-war calculations. We can go in the history prior to that, and
then we have world Wars and then we have lot of kings who were
fighting wars, mostly  for beautiful women living in other Mohallas (
as we see it today ).  That all looks trivial now, but of course, some
real Heros emerged, mainly in the form of saints, poets, Sufis,
Darvishs, and other great simple men who really struggled hard to live
a simple life.
I am personally interested in that and not in the stories of
politicians, Kings and their names which constitute our academic of
History department.

The same thing can be applied to Kashmir as well.  Kashmiris  have
really struggled in the past, like people in other parts of the world.
I am interested in the pain of those people and in the pain of the
people who inherited that pain.  For example I am interested ( as poet
Sahir was ) in the people who designed Taj Mahal, who worked hard like
slaves for the making of Taj, and who also loved in their own way.
The problem is that in the present scheme of things people are heavily
dependant on a leader who can represent their cause. Everything goes
wrong here, because we often see that an elite personalities somehow
manages to grab the chance of representation. Words are easy to
handle, more so for our modern brand of Journalists. Some politicians
looks cheaper than  mediocre journalists, and we have tons of them
around us, who call themselves Indians but we are in fact worst than
criminals. A simple criminal has a dynamics, but an already rich
criminal in disguise is a disease like cancer.

So let us come back to Kashmir thing. But before that I want to talk a
little about Khalistan Movement. It has certainly fizzled out long
ago. Indians are happy that Punjab is  a peaceful area now, but what
we call peace can be quite illusory. The congress party in the country
is a talented party for playing all the dirty games. They played one
and we lost our stupid dear PM then and shortly after another naive PM
for another stupidity. All we know about Khalistan now is Delhi Riots
of 1984 and the amount of compensation granted to victims.( the
universal story of compensation )  Victims inside Punjab are almost
forgotten in the process. Look at how Kargil martyrs got a Heros
treatment/welcome , but all the other army personal who died during
all these 17 years were nothing in comparison.  In nut shull, THE
STATE is a big fraud in the name of maintaining our boarders and other
administrative things. No wonder that we are one of most corrupt
country in the world. I am proud ( I don't like the proud, )  to be
Indian but not the way politicians suggest.   It is disgusting even to
look at the fatty decent looking politicians who are the helm of
affairs on behalf of millions and millions of poor people,exploited
day in and day out, by all of us. Yes, all of us who claim to be great
patriots.

So before we talk about Sanjay Kak's film we need to talk about who we
are? And then move further, and then know who ruled Kahsmir for 800
hundred years and who are were masters and who were slaves. To hell
with those all the Kings and all the kings prior to that.  I am
interested in Haba Khatoon's poetry and not in the history of man
called 'Akbar the great' who killed her learned husband and king. My
dear  friend, it is really difficult to celebrate poetry of great
souls, but it is easy to speak about the anecdotes dramatized over the
years by journalist like us.

One such clue is that you found Mr. Kak using the poet Pairay Hatash
in his film. See , we all know our capacity to use a poet for our own
vested interests. But the line ' Darvesh-i-rov ' ( we lost the Darvesh
) almost returns back to nothingness as a sad echo, as if it was not
meant to be heard.  The poet regrets but do we ?  As far as my
knowledge goes, Kashmiri Brahmins refused  the re-entry of converted
Muslims to their fold, when they got a chance to do.  I have no
regrets for that, because Kashmiri Pandits were already  going through
a decadence of sorts. A little dose of Marxism gave us a great poet
like Dina Nath Nadim, again a poet, and as far as my knowledge goes,
intellectually only Left leaning Pandits scored.   This does not mean
that Mullahs were emancipating the Muslim brother on the other side.
So let us share the pain of the rape of the innocence of the people,
not only of Kashmir but of the whole world.

So I  guess, the conceptual dimension of Kashmir is not to be seen
through the statements of politicians, but in the very process of
history making. Some lies become truths and some don't. All the maps
of all the countries are temporary and were drawn by human beings, not
be Gods. These lines will change, as they have been changing in the
past. These lines are really of  little interest to me.  These lines
on the boarder are tattoos on the skin but deep down we are all flesh
and bone, the whole humanity if interconnect and a common blood of
love is running in all of us. Let us talk about that.

Was not Kashmir a problem before 1990 ? Was it peaceful to have a
Cricket Match between India and Australia in Srinagar ?  And before
that Kashmir had protests and we all know about organization called
Al-Fateh which resulted in the hanging of Maqbool Bhat. Was that all
peaceful. Was a long arrest of long Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah a
peaceful idea for Kashmiris. No, Kashmiris never liked the idea of
Indian presence in the valley. It would have easily merged in the
territory of Pakistan, but a rock like man stood between Pakistan and
Kashmir. The same man, Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah, who not only changed
the course of history but protected the lives of pandits in 1947. but
the old Sheikh was a hallow man  looking of property and his sons to
succeed.  That is why we should not trust a politician, he can use us
like a mule and push us down in the gutter once we are old, or he
becomes dull.

For a while, let me put Azadi  as a synonym of ethics, and if we
suppress that form of human drive all we get is violence. Freedom at
any level is essential to human beings, and we know what cost we pay
for our little things to do. We all know that it is next to impossible
for Kashmiris to get independence at the moment, but then where do we
stand in depths of that question of ethics. And if we think that
Kashmir is law and order problem , like politicians think then we
should leave it all for them to decide. Why to bother even to write a
line or so, because they have power, they can do many things.  And if
we have say something, as an intellectual, then I guess it has to be
in the context of Azadi as ethics. There is nothing new in saying that
a terrorist is a bad word, the effort should be to fix the word
'terrorist' like a chip in the word 'politician'.  There are exception
always, but in general, a terrorist is a synonym of a politician and
vice versa.

As a journalist ( I hope u are not, i am not ) I agree with you quite
a lot, but please let us save our inner souls, inner beings, that
voice of a free man. We have miles to go…

with love
inder salim

http://indersalim.livejournal.com