[Reader-list] Fwd: 40th Day of indefinite hunger strike by Lepcha tribals in Sikkim against Teesta hydel project_govt exerting pressure

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:18:57 IST 2007

I have been following your posts with interest, because (a) it is good
to see resistance to these destructive projects springing up in diverse
corners of the country, and (b) I had once been in love with Sikkim, and
with mountains in general. Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are
worth.

Your frustration with the media's lack of interest is manifest in your
post. As a former journalist, I can suggest a simple (simplistic?)
answer: the issues you mention do not get into the media because they do
not sell. Celebrity gossip sells.

This will always be the case, and need not bother us too much, because
even if the mainstream media show some interest, they may not represent
the standpoint of earth democracy at all, and may - overtly or covertly
- sell the "Development" line instead.

Therefore, for those who do not live in Sikkim, it may be better to
concentrate on mobilising support for the hunger-strikers' cause from
like-minded groups elsewhere. The Sikkim groups may be able to learn
important lessons from the experience earned by these other groups over
the years.

Also, I think some list members might be willing to help if a concrete
plan of action were available.

Tapas Ray