[Reader-list] Devotees offer cigarettes at Captain Baba's mausoleum in Lucknow

Shivam Vij mail at shivamvij.com
Tue Jun 5 20:29:57 IST 2007

Devotees offer cigarettes at Captain Baba's mausoleum in Lucknow

By Kamna Mathur
http://www.dailyindia.com/show/145852.php/Devotees-offer-cigarettes-at-Captain-Babas-mausoleum-in-Lucknow

Lucknow, June 1: Though smoking or drinking at any religious place can
offend many believers at Captain Baba's mausoleum in Lucknow, offering
cigarettes is a gesture of respect.

It is believed all prayers can be answered on lighting cigarettes a-la
joss sticks. And, a large number of Hindus and Muslims do so while
visiting this sacred mausoleum here.

Everyday, hundreds of cigarettes are offered by devotees who visit
this place to seek blessings of Captain Baba.

"One of my uncles told me that many of his wishes were fulfilled once
he visited Captain Baba's shrine. I accompanied him on the first
occasion. Now, I am regular visitor. All wishes are fulfilled here",
said Ram Gopal Pal, a devotee.

It is said Gore Baba alias Mohammad Ashim, worked as Captain in the
British Army when the British ruled India. He died during the uprising
of 1857. But he had a special liking for the "Capstan" brand of
cigarette.

After his death, a mausoleum was built and today it is revered as
"Captain Baba's Dargarh". As he was known for smoking cigarettes, the
followers started a convention to offer the same at his mausoleum.The
devotees bring this particular brand as their expression of affection
for the Baba.

Gore Baba was a highly respected person and some believed he had
divine qualities. Later, admirers started calling him Captain Baba.

Every Thursday, there is a big rush at Captain Baba's mausoleum and
all visitors, irrespective of caste or creed, come along their
cigarettes.

"We have deep faith in Baba. He is near to God. However, we are just
his devotees who come here to seek blessing for ourselves and our
children," said Aquil Ahmed, a devotee.

'After lighting the cigarette, I express my desires to Baba. The
wishes are fulfilled, so we have faith in Baba", said Nazim Ali, a
devotee.

People light the cigarettes and insert them in cracked crevices on
Captain Baba's grave, just like incense sticks are lit at mausoleums.