[Reader-list] [Announcements] Voices from the Waters 2007: Invite

SIEDS bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Mon Jun 4 12:34:43 IST 2007

WATER IS CLOUD
WATER IS RAIN

WATER FROM YOUR TAP

WATER- THE SOURCE OF LIFE

WATER IS CIVILIZATION

WATER IS PANI PURI

WATER, A PRECIOUS GIFT

WATER WE TAKE BATH IN

WATER IS CULTURE

WATER, POETRY

WATER IS GETTING SCARCE

WATER, WE BUY?

WATER FLOWS BRIGHT and SPARKLING

WATER IS HAPPINESS

WATER IS MAGIC

CELEBRATE, WATCH, THINK, SPLASH, TALK

WATER! - THE BIGGEST FILM FESTIVAL IN BANGALORE

2 screens, 50 films, 30 countries

Interact with 14 film directors, 6 water voices from different parts of the country

Painting & Photograph Exhibition, Stalls

VOICES FROM THE WATERS 2007:

2nd INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL ON WATER

7th to 11th June 2007

10am to 9pm

at Gurunanak Bhavan, Bangalore.

ADMISSION FREE

"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water"

-          Loran Eisley

Scroll below the schedule and the short synopsis.

For further details contact:

email- bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in

tel: 080- 25493705/ 9886213516

Arghyam- safe, sustainable water for all, Bangalore Film Society and Films for Freedom, Bangalore in collaboration with Water Journeys- Forum for the Fundamental Right to Water, Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival, Ithaca College (FLEFF) and Urban Research Centre are proud to present the second edition of the International Film Festival on Water titled 'Voices from the Waters 2007'- a vibrant celebration of life itself in all its liquid blue glory.

SCREENINGS IN MAIN AUDITORIUM:

JUNE 7, 2007

SESSION 1: 2.00pm to 4.00pm

OPENING FILM:-

Film: 1000 Days and a Dream

Dir: P. Baburaj and C. Saratchandran

Dur: 77 minutes

An affecting human document that captures four years of courage, resilience, joys and sorrows as a small community in Plachimada District, Kerala dares to go up against global conglomerate that threatens to destroy their fresh water sources.

Directors P. Baburaj and C. Saratchandran, veteran artists of the Indian Documentary scene will be present at the screening along with activists from Plachimada for a question and answer session after the screening.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/fr/2006/11/03/stories/2006110300510300.htm

Film: Zone of initial dilution

Dir: Antoine Boutet

Dur: 30 minutes

Acclaimed and feted at the most prestigious documentary film festival across the globe, Zone of initial dilution is a chronicle of the dilemma of progress and urban sprawl that documents the change in the landscape effected by the construction of the Three Rivers Dam in China.

http://www.uta.fi/festnews/2007/sunday/37465.shtml

Film: 'International Water and Film Event' Spots

Pro: International Water and Film Event

Dur: 5mins40secs

A collection of public awareness spots from across the globe that won acclaim and awards at the 'International Water and Film Event 2006', Mexico.

http://www.internationalwaterandfilm.com/

SESSION 2: 4.15pm to 5.50pm

Film: Ganashatru

Dir: Satyajit Ray

Dur: 93mins

Ray's scathing film on greed, corruption and pollution, Ganashatru is set in small town Bengal where Dr. Ashoke Gupta (Soumitra Chatterjee) is the head of a town hospital. Gupta's younger brother, Nisith (Dhritiman Chatterjee), is the head of the committee running the hospital and a temple, both built by a local Industrialist. When Dr. Gupta is convinced that the holy water of the temple is causing an epidemic in the town, the industrialist and other town officials reject his view and refuse to close the temple to carry out the repairs.

SESSION 3: 6.15pm

INVOCATION FILM: Window Facing the Sun

Dir: Bijan Zamanpira

Dur: 12 Mins

A carnival shadow-play of prayers, ceremonies, the land and the clouds as a desert community in Iran beseeches the clouds to rain water and life down upon their scorching land. A triumphant, poetic invocation of the source of life weaved with simple strokes that make Iranian cinema so poignant, so powerful.

http://www.payvand.com/news/05/jun/1101.html

IMAUGURAL FILM:- We Corner People

Dir: Kesang Tseten

Dur: 50mins

Adjudged the Best Documentary at the 2006 Kathmandu International Mountain Film Festival, 'We Corner People' offers a intimate glimpse into the life and complexities of the inhabitants of a remote Tamang village who are at the mercy of poverty, an indifferent government and an angry river when they are given the chance for a better life in the form of a suspension bridge.

Director and iconoclast, Kesang Tseten will be present at the film screening and participate in a question and answer session.

http://www.nepalitimes.com/issue/119/DomesticBrief/5136

JUNE 8, 2007

SESSION 1: 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Film: Cutting off a Lifeline

Dir: Saraswati Kauvala

Dur: 62mins

When the most of Hyderabad has dismissed the river Musi as nothing more than a big open drain, 'Cutting off a Lifeline' reveals the deep relationship between the ancient river and life in and around the flourishing city that through the years has been abused by the callous city dwellers, planners and policy makers.

Director Saraswati Kauvala will be present at the film screening and participate in an interactive session with the audience.

Film: Ganga: From the Ground Up

Dir: Yves Saduvani & Miriam Ciscar

Dur: 43min 41sec

With vibrant images and sounds, the kinetic documentary takes you along the course of the river Ganges affirming its spiritual and ecological importance as a sustainer of an entire civilization while delving into the myriad crises plaguing the river at almost every point of its course, exploiting its water and its poorer inhabitants in the name of progress and development and offer simple and thoughtful suggestions so that yet another generation can witness the magnificence that is the Ganges.

http://citizen.nfb.ca/blogs/uncategorized/ganga-from-the-ground-up/

WATER VOICES: 4.15pm to 4.45pm

Shivaji Kagnikar, a Gandhian; and he laughs at the term, has been working in the village Kattanbhavi and its environs near Belgaum. His work along with many has resulted in the village well in Kattanbhavi being always full. Forest planting, watershed works, check dams, pond desilting, recharge structures, gobar gas plants for every household and water security for the village is achievement if it can be called that.

SESSION 2: 4.45pm to 6.45pm

Film: Dweepa

Dir: Girish Kasaravalli

Dur: 100min

Winner of 2002 National Award for Best Film and Best Cinematography, 'Dweepa' gives a human face to the tragedy of the displaced. When the village of Sita Parvata is being submerged by the construction of a dam, the government evacuates its residents, giving them meager compensation but temple priest Duggajja and his family are yet to come to terms with the implications of life outside their tiny island. In Ganapa's own words, the compensation can give them food and shelter, but cannot compensate for the love and respect of their people.

Winner of multiple National awards and a major personality in Indian art house cinema, Girish Kasaravalli will be present at the screening and participate in an interactive session.

WATER VOICES: 7.00pm to 7.30pm

 Pokkudan plants mangroves. This incredible feat by an individual is amazing for the sensitivity displayed in a biological system that acts in many ways to buffer erosion, enhance bio-diversity, minimise high tide, tsunami impacts and many other things. Why does he do it? The man himself will answer.

SESSION 3: 7.30pm to 9.00pm

Film: The Lost Water

Dir: Dakxin Bajrange

Dur: 25min21sec

There is an old folk tale that is told in the Rann of Kutch that in the vast desert expanse, the Agariya tribe is perpetually found digging the sand is search of lost water. It's almost as if time has stood still in the salt pans of Gujarat as the film sheds light on the plight of the tribe who have been cultivating salt through the generations and in return have been exploited and reduced to sickness, poverty and thirst.

Award winning Director, playwright, actor, director and founder of the Budhan school of theatre, Dakxin Bajrange will be present at the screening for an interactive session with the audience.

http://english.georgetown.edu/Lannan/bioarchive/chhara.html

Film: Solitary Cedar

Dir: Hegedus 2 Laszlo

Dur: 4min

Torrents of wind, rain, thunder and lighting, enduring nature's wrath, the solitary cedar survives and is blissful.

Film: Mountains in the Mist - Discovering Cloud Forests

Pro: Halsundbeinbruch Film

Dur: 40 min

Home to 100 species of mammals, 400 species of birds (including 30 kinds of hummingbirds), tens of thousands of insect species and 2500 species of plants (420 kinds of orchids), Cloud Forests are rare and intriguing eco-systems that are intense with life and color. 'Mountains in the Mist' is a lush journey through the secrets of these mystical forests in the clouds.

http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/index.htm

JUNE 9, 2007

SESSION 1: 10.00am to 11.15am

Film: Flow

Dir: Scott Nyerges

Dur: 4:26 min

Handpainted 16mm and 35mm filmstrips collude with video to render a meditation on the creeks and rivers of Austin, Texas, in paint and pixels. Flow has exhibited at the TriBeca Film Festival, the International Film Festival in Rotterdam, and CinemaTexas.

http://www.nyerges.com/

Film: Faecal Attraction

Dir: Pradeep Saha

Dur: 32 minutes

'When you flush, where does the water go?'

Find Out.

Director Pradeep Saha, freelance photographer, film-maker and managing editor of the CSE environmental journal, Down to Earth will be present at the screening of his film to answer what you can do the next time you press the lever for a flush.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2408/stories/20070504001409200.htm

SESSION 2: 11.30pm to 1.30pm

Film: Desert's voice: A sufi tale

Dir: Massimiliano Troiani

Music Dir: Stephan Micus

Dur: 9:50 mins

It lives among the clouds and comes down to earth so that it can run in rapid streams and travel to different places. A beautiful sufi invocation of the journey of water on earth.

Film: Swaraj: The Little Republic

Dir: Anwar Jamal

Dur: 90min

Winner of the Silver Lotus at the National Awards 2003 for the Best Film on Social Issues and inspired by the true story of a woman councilor who took on the might of the water mafia, Director Anwar Jamal's 'Swaraj: The Little Republic' is a rousing tale of four women journeying barefoot and audacious, across the desert in the search of justice and water.

Director Anwar Jamal will be present at the screening for a question and answer session with the audience.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2010/stories/20030523001708200.htm

SESSION 3: 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Film: Sea in the Blood

Dir: Richard Fung

Dur: 26min

A personal documentary about living with illness, tracing the relationship of the artist to thalassemia in his sister, Nan and AIDS in his partner, Tim. The narrative of love and loss is set against a background of colonialism in the Carribean and the reverberations of migration and political change.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/screeningthepast/firstrelease/fr0703/kbfr15.html

Film: Shadows of Tehri

Dur: 45 Mins

Dir: Anirban Dutta

A one-of-a-kind film that interweaves folklore, music, tradition and history to create a textured memory of the essence of old Tehri town in Tehri Garhwal, Uttaranchal, after it is lost forever under the swirling waters of the world's highest dam, built over the rivers of Bhagirathi and Bhilangana.

Film: The Disappearing of Tuvalu: Trouble in Paradise

Dir: Christopher Horner and Gilliane Le Gallic

Dur: 50 min

Incisive, controversial and featured in the most prestigious environmental film festivals across the globe, 'The Disappearing of Tuvalu' is a detailed overview of the first sovereign nation that is in danger of being capsized and drowned by the rising waters of the global warming phenomena. A tale of loss and displacement, the film beholds a frightening future of drowned worlds and environmental refugees.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/rough/2005/12/tuvalu_that_sin_1.html

WATER VOICES: 4.15pm to 4.45pm

Farhad Contractor empowers people. Working in Rajasthan through his organization, Sambhav, Farhad fills hope in people to be able to manage their water affairs themselves. Traditional water structures are on revival in Barmer and Jaisalmer simply because Farhad Contractor has thought it fit to work with these communities

SESSION 4: 4.45pm to 6.45pm

Film: Village of Dust City of Water

Director: Sanjay Barnela & Vasant Saberwal

Duration: 28 minutes

Winner of the Lion Award 2007 for Best environmental film and Nominated for the International Natural History Museum One Planet Award, the country's foremost environmental documentary film-makers focus on water-induced migration and the discriminatory divide in the supply of water between the urban and the rural.

Director, screen-writer, academic researcher with a doctorate from Yale for his work with the Gaddi community of Himachal Pradesh, Dr. Vasant Saberwal will be attending the screening and participate in a question and answer session.

Nor any Drop to Drink

Director: Joska Wessels

Duration: 23 minutes

An inspiring, informative slice-of-life that travels from Jordan to Egypt to Palestine capturing the interaction between the general public and the policymakers, surprisingly sans red-tape and ego hassles, as they try together to initiate solutions for the looming water issues.

http://www.sapiensproductions.com/news.htm

Film: The Never Never Water

Dir: Allessandra Speciale

Dur: 15min

The "water lords" have arrived in the Sahell. In Ougadougou, Burkina Faso, the search for water has always been an exhausting chore. In addition to the shortage of water there is now also the threat of privatization. In this period of drought, people crowd around the wells, waiting hours to fill a few buckets. Midway between reportage and narrative story-telling, this documentary tells the story of Moussa, an itinerant water seller in the suburbs of the capital. It is a mesmerizing and paced tale of water justice at a very personal level.

WATER VOICES: 7.00pm to 7.30pm

Chattar Singh knows the tradition, history and development of each of the water structures in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. How and why is a tanka built? What are naadis? What are beris? How does society decide wher a water harvesting structure should be? How can malaria be detected and remedied? Chattar Singh is the water bard of Jaisalmer

SESSION 5: 7.30pm to 9.00pm

Film: Erosion

Dir: Sourav Sarangi

Dur: 60mins

Erosion is a powerful document of the vicious circle of human tragedy allowed to perpetuate by a callous and greedy government. Every year, the banks of the Ganga and the Padma overflow in the Malda and Murshidabad districts in West Bengal disrupting the life and livelihoods of thousands while concerned authorities only add to their tragedy for monetary and political gain. Erosion is a stirring account of the pains and penury, the anger and resoluteness of the sufferers of erosion.

Director Sourav Sarangi and scholars and activists of the grassroots' movement will be present at the screening for an interactive session with the audience.

Film: Let's not disturb the water

Dir: Bijan Zamanpira

Dur: 22 mins

Another award winning gem from Iran that captures a day in the life of migrant mountain dwellers adapting to a new landscape without disrupting the course of nature.

http://www.payvand.com/news/05/jun/1101.html

JUNE 10, 2007

SESSION 1: 10.00am to 11.15am

Film: The Beginning

Dir: Parvez Imam

Dur: 3min30sec

The concept of buying and selling is turning almost everything into a commodity. And a thrifty, businessman decides to invest his bit on an ocean. This short fiction brings to life a powerful screenplay with merely three characters and the ocean.

http://www.kalpana.it/eng/film/parvez_imam/index.htm

Film: Al Otro Lado

Dir: Natalia Almada

Dur: 70min

When you're an aspiring Mexican singer trying to move up in life, you have two choices: traffic drugs or make an illegal cross over the border to the US. Set to the pulse of Mexico's corrido music, the movie takes to the streets of Sinaloa Mexico all the way to L.A. through a hard-boiled network of drug trafficing, illegal immigrants and a fishing industry in decline, tracing the plight of those who dream to crossover to the other side.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2006/alotrolado/about.html

SESSION 2: 11.30am to 1.30pm

Film: Loktak- The Dying lake of Manipur

Dir: Aribam Shyam Sharma

Dur: 58 minutes

Director and Iconoclast Aribam Shyam Sharma, who in his long and esteemed career has been compared to the likes of Akira Kurosawa and Satyajit Ray, documents with compassion and anger the death throes of Manipur's Lake Loktak and its inhabitants (which include the endangered dancing deer) brought on by the Manipur government's plan to set up a hydroelectric power station with dreams of 'progress'.

Auteur Ariban Shyam Sharma will be present at the screening for an interactive session with the audience.

http://readerlist.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2007/04/03/reader-list-how-satyajit-ray-got-floored-2nd-if-posting-2.html

Film: The Rainy Season

Dir: Isaac Pinhanta, Valdete Pinhanta, Tsirotsi Ashaninka, Llullu Manchineri, Maru Kaxinawá, Nelson Kulina, Fernando Katuquina and André Kanamari

Dur: 38 min

>From the Indigenous Video Makers series from the Video in the Villages project in Brazil. A daily chronicle of the Ashaninka community during the rainy season recorded during a workshop in a village on the Amônia River in Acre. The involvement among the filmmakers and the Ashaninka community makes the film go beyond a mere description of activities, reflecting the rhythm of the village and the humor of its inhabitants.

www.videonasaldeias.org.br

SESSION 3: 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Film: Devil's water

Dir: Amirul Arham

Dur: 53.10 min

Winner of Best Documentary at the Terra Festival, 'The Devil's Water' is Director Arham's vivid record of the humanitarian catastrophe involving 49 million people in Bangadesh afflicted by the arsenic contaminated water they are forced to consume daily. Through the personal accounts of Asma and Najma, two girls affected by the contamination and Jamal, a scientist fighting against the effects of contamination; this film hopes to contribute to a vision of hope for a better future.

http://www.sos-arsenic.net/english/article/index.html#18

Film: Dui Paatan ke Beech Mein (Between The Devil and The Deep River)
Dir: Arvind Sinha

Dur: 65mins

Director Arvind Sinha's Swarna Kamal (President's Gold Medal) winning documentary is an incisive indictment of the hypocrisy of 'development models' chosen and implemented by the governments only to ravage the land with man-made floods and reduce its inhabitants to poverty and disorientation. He also studies the coping mechanisms developed by the people, which over the years have become integral to their culture. And all the while, the government shamelessly continues to declare that all has been done in the name of "protecting people from the floods".

Winner of multiple National Awards and internationally acclaimed, Arvind Sinha is one of the most prominent documentary film-makers of the country and he will be present for an interactive session at the screening.

http://www.yidff.jp/97/cat051/97c068-e.html

WATER VOICES: 4.15pm to 4.45pm

Eklavya Prasad is a young modern development professional. Leading the Maegh Pyne Abhiyaan he has chosen Bihar as his 'karma bhoomi'. Working with partners in the flood affected districts, he seeks solutions for peoples drinking water and sanitation needs. He also searches for livelihood opportunities for people on embankments whose lives are impacted by the floods of the Kosi and its tributaries.

SESSION 4: 4.45pm to 6.45pm

Film: Old Sea and the Man

Dir: R.R. Srinivas

Dur: 70mins

Director R.R. Srinivasan brings out the tragedy of the post-tsunami 'relief and rehabilitation' efforts when a shameful circus of greed and manipulation is played out in the name of development. The film exposes the design of the state to forcibly relocate the fishing community from their pre-tsunami settlements that amounts to completely uprooting them from their livelihood while also bearing testament to the brave resilience of the coastal communities to not only recover from the devastation of the tsunami but the larger forces bent on disrupting their very existence.

Radical and controversial film-maker R.R. Srinivasan will be present at the screening for an interactive session with the audience.

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/2005/12/10/stories/2005121002080800.htm

Film: Gharat

Dir: Pankaj Rishi Kumar

Dur: 41mins

'Gharat' celebrates the indigenous, traditional watermills of Garwhal, which have been around since as early the 7th century A.D. as the spirit and path to decentralized sustainable development. Director Pankaj Kumar, acclaimed film-maker and editor of 'Bandit Queen' narrates the triumphant story of Tau's attempts to bring electricity to his house with a 'gharat' while critiquing the government's excesses in the name of 'progress' like the 'Tehri Hydel Project'.

http://www.goodnewsindia.com/Pages/content/discovery/waterwheels.html

WATER VOICES: 7.00pm to 7.30pm

Premji is with an organisation called SAMTA. Based in Khagaria he has seen the Kosi and sisters rise up and fill the town with water as much as he has seen people on embankments living with snakes and scorpions. His has been a constant voice to plead their case. In times of emergency, to row with food and medical supplies, in other times to drain the waters so that cultivation can happen.

SESSION 5: 7.30pm to 9.30pm

CLOSING FILM: Bara

Dir: M.S. Sathyu

Dur: 120mins

M.S. Sathyu's classic Bara follows his idealist protagonist as he becomes a mere pawn caught in the intense political rivalry between the chief minister and a political aspirant that is played out in the times of drought and poverty. Local political rowdies instigate chaos. Everything from hiding rice and wheat from the starving public to violating women and igniting a communal war takes place. All this is done just to keep their bellies full at the cost of the poor people. The famine is used as an excuse for all of them to pursue their own personal goals.

Director, playwright, screenwriter, cinematographer M.S. Sathyu who has given us films like Bara and Garam Hawa will be present at the screening for an interactive session with the audience.

EXPERIMENTALS & SHORTS on SCREEN 2:

     Name of Film
     Filmmaker
     Country