[Reader-list] corridors/4th posting/2

sayandeb mukherjee sayandebmukherjee at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jun 17 13:45:49 IST 2007

In the interface section I am presenting a short
interview of two students of B.Architecture at
Jadavpur  University in Kolkata. This University had
certain corridors where I have done certain audio
recordings. I would post the audio clips in my blog
and later submit with the final project. Visually, the
corridor was bounded with walls on both the sides
interspersed with classrooms; there some corridors had
a dark projection leading to engineering laboratories
and a dim tube light was on at its extreme end.

INTERFACE

Q. Do you think, that this corridor or like spaces
have gone through a degradation aesthetically, as we
consider the historicity of architecture since
colonial period.  Express your views in this regard on
the statement – ‘
 corridors of today have become not
more than a blatant, aesthetically flat and monotonous
commutative space. Nowadays it is not constructed with
a pre-planning considering the above factors. It
emerges by virtue of the construction of two parallel
walls. Corridors that were integrated in constructions
during the pre-colonial period used to have a display
of artistic splendor like stone carvings, sculpted
columns, paintings, murals and many other artistic
elements embodied with heritage.
ANS. It is true to certain extent. This should not be
the look of a university or a college corridor. It
lacks the color or the brightness that could make the
young generation feel buoyant. It should have one side
open (maybe she was visualizing a verandah) from where
one can see the sky. But the corridor from where we
make our daily journey to our classroom is very
mundane; it is the space we try to avoid always.

On the contrary, I received a totally different
response from a student – Varun, in the same stream
studying at JNTU in Hyderabad. Here the corridor was
extremely bright with one side open and had got an
arch by structure. The wall was painted with different
graffiti giving an exotic look.

Q. How do you feel about this corridor? Tell us your
experiences that involve this corridor and any other
such. Do you have any childhood memories in this kind
of space?
ANS. It is the best corridor of my life. It is always
enchanting to spend time sitting on this railing and
chatting with friends. It also has got an artistic
look that always makes us spirited. I feel great when
I think that this is the railing where many of my
seniors have seated and enjoyed their afternoons like
I am doing. In my childhood too I got good corridors
for playing hide and seek with the other kids. I have
no bitter experiences as such in a space like this,
but when I think that this space could also generate
fear I recall one of the horror movies made by Steven
Spielberg.

SAYANDEB MUKHERJEE
  FT#308, SUBBARAJU TOWERS,
  ROAD NO.4, VIJAYAPURI COLONY,