[Reader-list] [Announcements] Hassan Al-Saidi: Iraqi artist-in-exile, New Delhi exhibition

Takahiro Noguchi mail at art-jhuggi.net
Sat Jun 16 11:28:46 IST 2007

You are cordially invited to an exhibition of mixed-media painting,
installation and videos by Iraqi artist-in-exile Al-Saidi Hassan.

Hassan Al-Saidi

"portrait of a man"

presented by art-jhuggi <http://www.art-jhuggi.net>

on view:
17 - 24 june 2007

preview
saturday 16 june 2007
6:00 to 9:00 pm

about the artist:

 Al-Saidi Hassan's career in art spans over 35 years, beginning with
his studies at the Baghdad Art College and the Academy of Fine Arts,
in Rome, to exhibiting and living in Italy, where he had his own
sculpture and design studio and was an instructor at the Pietrasanta
Art Studios. He has exhibited widely in Italy, France, Africa and
India and has most recently been featured in group exhibitions at the
Lalit Kala Akademy and Travancore Art Gallery in New Delhi.

Since 1996, Hassan has been living as an artist-in-exile in New Delhi.
In past years this was due to his political disagreements with the
former regime of Saddam Hussein, and currently because of the United
States invasion and civil war. He is a singularity in the world of
contemporary Indian art: an artist who has experienced life as both a
cosmopolitan nomad and a 'homo sacer,' his life hanging between the
sovereignty of states. Hassan's work offers a glimpse of a possible
Iraqi modernism, albeit one suspended and deferred.

about the 'art' space:

jhuggi: hindi term that describes informal structures built by the
poor out of found materials for housing in the slums of India.

art-jhuggi: an informal art/curatorial project that borrows from
contemporary art and popular culture. we organize informal art and
unconventional curatorial projects to examine connections between
different economies and people. our current project is the launch of a
d.i.y. (do it yourself) alternative 'art' space from an apartment in
lajpat nagar, new delhi. the goal is to explore alternative economies
and possibilities for exchange within and through the brokering of art
and artists.

takahiro noguchi
artist/organizer

art-jhuggi
e-98, 1st floor   lajpat nagar I   new delhi, 110024
india
www.art-jhuggi.net

timings:
5:00 - 9:00 pm (monday closed)