[Reader-list] shuddhabratas response

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:51:43 IST 2007

But what about the pimp?  Who is the pimp, and why doesnt he have any
dignity?  If one was to take the idea of the pimp as "the dalal",
then, the dalal is often a much respected person - he/she (yes there
are women who are dalals)  is the one who makes possible impossible
things - such as the provision of water/ electricty and land in some
authorised colonies; the fixer of arranged marriages between agra and
azamgarh; and  the person who manipulates autorickshaw meters.  So the
term dalal to anyone who does anything for a commission.  Is that
respectable or dignified?  well, i would say yes in many instances.

Now if one did not translate pimp into dalal - and just considered its
usage in certain cultures - like MTV :) - pimping is something that is
rather cool.  As an example, i offer - MTV's Pimp my Ride, presented
by Xzibit.  Pimp my Ride, for the uninitiated, is a show where polite,
well adjusted individuals get MTV to spent hundreds of dollars to
transform their bashed old cars into lean mean automachines.  Pimping
in this context seems to mean "to ameliorate" or to coin a phrase ,
"coolize".

Given the current coolness of some pimps, i think emma might just be
right .  A lot of pimps have waaay more dignity than i guess i do.

Best, as always,
A.