[Reader-list] shuddhabratas response]

Tapas Ray t.ray at vsnl.com
Fri Mar 2 07:05:53 IST 2007

Shuddha,

I would love to know where those quotes are from.

You really do take the cake, though not in the way someone ... I think it
was Emma D (or was it E or F?) ... said you did. That is a most enjoyable
post, and not the least because of the inside stuff from Shobhabajar. (For
those who are not familiar with Calcutta, Shobhabajar is the metro railway
stop at which one would have to get off if one wanted to meet Shuddha's
dignified pimps, for whatever purpose.)

... I can hear some people hiss on the sidelines: "See! The Bong
pseudosecularist starts drooling the moment someone says "pimp"!"

Having said that, I must take issue with you for appropriating all the
pimply (I mean pimp-ly, not zitty) dignity for us Bongs. Going by his name,
Gomes could very well be an Anglo-Indian or Goanese individual. If that were
indeed the case, pimps of the Anglo-Indian community or those from the
Konkan coast (that's where Goa is, isn't it?), as the case might be, would
be justified in feeling aggrieved. We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings,
would we?

In case anyone has any doubts about my motive for standing up for
Anglo-Indian and Konkanese pimps, let me confess that I just want to
demonstrate my broadmindedness (not in the sense in which "BM couples" or
"broadminded couples" are said to do). This comes naturally to
pseudosecularists who wear their pseudosecularism and assorted liberalisms
on their sleeves.

Tapas