[Reader-list] an article about media

Taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:03:01 IST 2007

(from Hindu)

Opening western minds to international crosswinds
Ramesh Thakur
Why do the major newspapers not organise a reciprocal exchange of columns —
we will publish as many of your articles per month as you take of ours?
THE TECHNICAL gadget that Americans are most in need of, it's been said, is
a hearing aid. Too many of them are prone to lecture, hector, and otherwise
pressure much of the rest of the world, in the far from touching belief that
the American way is the only way.
To be sure, America and Americans do indeed have much to be immodest about.
The vibrancy, dynamism, and energy of Americans can be very infectious. The
pinnacles of achievements that the United States as a country, society, and
people has reached is worthy of great self-pride. Some of the rage against
all things American is based on nothing more substantial than envy of the
successful, as captured in the protest banner "Yankee go home — and take me
with
you!" That said, it is just as true that, in most civilisations, humility is
a greater social virtue than pride and vanity on constant public display.
There must be a good reason why we have one mouth for speaking but two ears
for listening.
Before the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001, many other governments
were at the receiving end of moralising lectures, from westerners in general
and
Americans in particular, about the absolute inviolability of human rights,
no matter how grave or real the security threats some of them faced. The
subsequent
trajectory of American practices and discourse shows just how shallow the
understanding of and commitment to human rights was. But it also proves the
point
about world views being grounded in our own experiences, much more so than
in any abstract conception. The world view and perspectives of western
governments,
scholars, and commentators changed dramatically after 9/11 with regard to
the proper balance between hard and soft power, force and diplomacy,
security
and liberty, and unilateralism and multilateralism, compared with what their
previous position had been based on — theoretical arguments rather than
actual
experience.
The progress of history rests on the battle for supremacy of competing
ideas. The power and wealth of western countries give them a dominant role
in shaping
the international public discourse. This is a privileged position they have
earned, and the rest of us have little claim to object. But imagine if the
United States had given a respectful hearing to opinion from around the
world in 2002-03 on Iraq: the wasteful spilling of so much American blood
and treasure
might have been avoided.
Yet there is no effort by any of the mainstream U.S. media, as far as I
know, to harvest international opinion on the great issues of the day for
dissemination
to the domestic American audience. Instead the trafficking in the opinions
and thoughts of international public intellectuals is almost all one-way.
This
seems to rest on an implicit racist assumption in both camps. Namely, that
when western and non-western values diverge, the latter are in the wrong and
it is only a matter of working on them with persuasion and pressure for the
problem to be resolved and progress achieved. The cognitive blindness is
shown
in the statement by scholars Thomas Risse and Stephen C. Ropp that "pressure
by western states and international organisations can greatly increase the
vulnerability of norm-violating governments to external influences."
Self-evidently, only non-western governments can be norm violators; western
governments
can only be norm setters and enforcers. The philosophical antecedents of
such beliefs lie in the 18 th-19th century theory of evolutionary progress
through
diffusion and acculturation from the west to the rest.
Or consider what, in some ways, is a more tragic example. A massive
earthquake and tsunami struck the Indian Ocean on December 26. In the three
weeks following
that, the International Herald Tribune published 16 opinion articles on, or
in relation to, the tragedy. Not one was by an Asian. The equally
influential
Financial Times published six articles, of which again not one was by an
Asian. Each by itself was of very high quality, as one would expect from
these
newspapers. Nevertheless, it would be surprising to find that either paper
has ever carried opinion and analytical pieces on a major western tragedy
(9/11,
the London bombing, the Madrid bombing) written solely by developing country
authors.
This imbalance of voice in the international discourse has built up a
dangerous sense of resentment by the silent majority of the world's peoples.
Developing
country governments sometimes complain about the activities of international
media commentators as interference in their internal affairs and view them
suspiciously as instruments of `soft' western intervention. They are surely
right in the implied belief that media weight augments foreign policy tools
and comprises part of what Harvard University's Joseph Nye has labelled
"soft power." The U.S. is indeed a more powerful world actor for being able
draw on a rich civil society, a depth of scholarly knowledge, and a media
that has market dominance and reaches into the farthest nook and cranny
around
the world.
Still, this begs two questions. First, should not governments learn how best
to strengthen civil society in their own countries and enter into
partnership
with them in the pursuit of shared international goals? Why is it that
non-western governments complain about biased coverage by western media
instead
of doing something constructive? Journalists are censored, manipulated,
harassed, and sometimes even imprisoned and liquidated.
To be sure, English is the dominant medium of global communication, and the
BBC and CNN are truly global brands in the world of media. Yet today they
are
being challenged by Al Jazeera, to the point where Washington has had a
strained if not antagonistic relationship with the group in relation to its
coverage
of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Of the large and well-established Asian democracies, India and Japan could
easily by now have supported the emergence of truly global media brands as
well.
Quite a few Indian journalists have world recognition but, almost without
exception, they work for western print and electronic media. In its
desperation
to control information, news and analyses, the Indian government has
effectively aborted the rise of independent Indian news services with the
authority
and credibility to command a global following. Not for nothing was AIR known
as "All Indira Radio."
The BBC provided the model; is it the west's fault that Indians failed to
emulate such a positive example? The net result is that India (like China
and
Japan) does indeed lack a key agent of international influence and a crucial
ingredient of soft power in the modern networked world. In this respect,
sadly,
India is a metaphor for all of Asia. The challenge for enlightened national
interest diplomacy is how best to nurture civil society and credible media
so that they help to project local values and perspectives to a receptive
international audience.
Second, western commentators have their columns regularly reprinted in
newspapers all over the world, which is good. Readers of The Hindu have
regular access
to selected opinion articles from The Guardian. Should westerners not make a
deliberate effort to read and listen to what the rest of the world might
have
to say? Should not readers of The Guardian be exposed to The Hindu's
columnists? Or do we simply assume that if the rest of the world has a
different opinion,
it is wrong? It is clear to me, as a professor and as a high-level U. N.
official, that the writings of Siddharth Varadarajan, to take just one
example
from these pages, do not compare unfavourably to the best that The Guardian
has to offer on some of the most sensitive contemporary issues like Iran.
Hence the final question: why do the major newspapers not organise a
reciprocal exchange of columns — we will publish as many of your articles
per month
as you take of ours? Or do we share the westerners' implicit belief that
what they have to say on any and every topic is important for the whole
world
to know; but what we have to say about our own affairs may perhaps be worth
considering, but otherwise we should know our place and stay there.
(Ramesh Thakur is senior vice rector of the UN University in Tokyo. These
are his personal views.)