[Reader-list] taggedmail dot con

Shivam Vij mail at shivamvij.com
Tue Mar 6 12:51:33 IST 2007

Dear friends,

I have been getting emails, including one via the Reader-List, saying that
so-and-so has taged me. That is to promote a service called taggedmail dot
com. What's happening is that when you sign up for taggedmail it asks for
the username and pasword of you existing webmail acount
(Gmail/hotmail/whatever) and automatically sends an email to everyone on
your contact list saying that *you* have "tagged" them. Since "tagged" has
to do with blogging culture (wherein you 'tag' another blogger to pass on a
'meme'), many might think it's just another harmless tag. But it's instead a
clever way of marketing a new service. The reason why I am expending so much
energy explaining this is that there are dozens of start-up sites who are
doing this. Sms dot ac is one that instantly comes to mind.

It may be a good idea to never give your mail account details to these
sites. It's a lot of inconvenience to everyone, not least yourself.

best